Making my own electric car.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
The way it is going, what with gas being stupid...and my decreased use of vechicles, lack of work, etc....

I am wondering about taking an old Saturn 2 dr, and stripping out the motor/tranny, replacing the rear end/suspension with a golf cart motor/diffy... the guy across the street has 2 of them, this is NOT a gated golf community with restricted roads....the local cops don't seem to care....they ride them up to the store and back all the time....

so, being as I start with a fully operational car, 90% of the engineering is done allready....

the golf carts he has use 6 six volt auto batteries....36 volts max....

ok, suppose I use 6 12 volt batteries...maybe 9 of them....60 bux each call it 600 bux worth of batteries....I allready have a charger, 40 bux...need 5 more 200 bux.....

figger a Saturn with a blown engine....tear out the engine, tranny, radiator, etc.....bet that car weight something like 1200 lbs then, what with plastic body panels....no rear seat, maybe an orange crate....no gas tank...
wheels are roughly twice the diameter as the golf cart...skinney tires to cut rolling resistance....need a smaller set of brakes....or just use the rear drums hell with it......or put a set of rear discs on it....one lung m/cyl....

adapt the golf cart transaxel to the rear of the Saturn...motor included....
leave the batteries in front.. got a whole bunch of really heavy gauge copper wire allready....seems the drive speeds are controlled by a bunch of Ford starter solenoids....think I saw 6 of them....

I thinking the whole project is about 2 grand at MAX.....and it's about 90% of the way there on buying the same thing for some 30-40 GRAND......

anyone any bets???

regenerative braking?? why not?? any DC motor is a generator long as it has brushes.....and not some fancy SState controller making a/c power for it to run....

OK engineers....poke holes in my project.....

:fishing::fishing::eek::crylol:

Go for it. The thought has crossed my mind MANY times.
Your issue will be suspension for the batteries. Figure it out. It's alot more than an ICE.

OK engineers....poke holes in my project.....

:

a golf cart motor will barely make a saturn move. It would be dangerous.

How about finding a decent size motor say 40 hp minimum?

i don't know what a golf cart motor is.... probably about 4 hp.

If you are just trying to save money why not get an old diesel VW and tune it to run on french fry grease. Go around and get it free from restraunts.

Or better yet, quit drinking and convert your still to make ethanol. Make your own E85 and run it in the vette. That way you're not stuck running around in a shit box.

Last edited:
A 40 HP DC motor weighs ALOT. I have wondered about using a 25HP variable pitch brush motor or a A/C motor, frequency drive, and an auto tranny for torque/ ratio changes.

While I have to agree with the economics of Turtle's VW recommendation, I still like the idea (and challenge) of making an EV. If I wasn't so involved trying to finish up the latest changes on the '69, I'd be converting an older S-10 pickup to electric. I don't give a crap about the ozone layer or lose any sleep worrying about warming the planet, I just like the idea of dealing with the engineering challenges of this conversion. I say go for it, and keep us updated. :thumbs:

I still like the idea (and challenge) of making an EV. If I wasn't so involved trying to finish up the latest changes on the '69, I'd be converting an older S-10 pickup to electric. I don't give a crap about the ozone layer or lose any sleep worrying about warming the planet, I just like the idea of dealing with the engineering challenges of this conversion. I say go for it, and keep us updated. :thumbs:

That's where I am at. Mike, where would you start? What would be your approach. I'm all ears.(And slipping out for dinner):lol:

MY approach is the parts have to be CHEEEEEEEEP and available....

car batteries are dime a dozen and 500 of them next door....

I MAY have an in for golf cart things....a guy is starting up a business of renting and actually owning the carts here for golf courses....being FLORIDA about 1/2 the state is putting greens allready....so anyway, my welder buddy gets about 2 of these a week to fix the frames on...the aluminum battery boxes corrode like crazy....well DUHAAA......so he fixes them in the evenings....something like 75 bux a pop.....at any rate, HE has a solid contact to get parts from...and wiring dirgrams and specs....

so to get to WORK.....

gotta find the cheepest lightest donor car around.....

I would think a Saturn would fill be bill on account of it being plastic panels, and that 'space frame' construction.....

anyone???

I still like the idea (and challenge) of making an EV. If I wasn't so involved trying to finish up the latest changes on the '69, I'd be converting an older S-10 pickup to electric. I don't give a crap about the ozone layer or lose any sleep worrying about warming the planet, I just like the idea of dealing with the engineering challenges of this conversion. I say go for it, and keep us updated. :thumbs:

That's where I am at. Mike, where would you start? What would be your approach. I'm all ears.(And slipping out for dinner):lol:

Well, electrical controller design is my background, so I feel comfortable dealing with most of that area. I'll confess I haven't had much experience in the various designs of electric motors, so I'd have to get a quick education on that aspect. I'd definitely try to implement regenerative braking, not only for the efficiency/range improvement, but also in an attempt to maximize the (lead/acid) battery life by helping to recharge as often as available. Given the amount of watt-hours (energy) needed to propel a vehicle any reasonable distance, I would assume lead/acid batteries would be the only type batteries that an enthusiast could afford to buy in the quantity needed. (Please correct me if I am mistaken here.) Regenerative braking might also allow a lighter mechanical braking system to be used on the vehicle.
I haven't done the cost/benefit calculations (never needed to before this moment) to see if a modest photovoltaic system in the pickup bed would allow a modest recharge while stuck in traffic (or while parked at work all afternoon) to slow down the battery (sulphation) issue, and extend the TTF point out a bit so that reduced battery replacement costs would pay for the PV cell costs. I don't know what that break even point is.
Depending on the thermal issues of the motor and controllers, you might be able to block off most of the (radiator) grillwork for less aero drag at highway speeds. Also, it would be nice to be able to recover some of the motor/controller heat for use in the vehicle interior when needed, instead of using resistive heat, or having to carry the weight of a heat pump. If you want A/C, then you're probably stuck with the weight, and perhaps the heat pump will give you the best of both worlds (heating and cooling).
Just my two cents without a lot of time in thought about this.

I would be looking at a WHITE car, this IS Florida afterall, and for the a/c would need a 2 horse engine to run an alt for the fans, and a compressor....

doubtful anything left over for battery charge....but that's a summertime thing only...no heat pump for now....no a/c for now...future project when it rolls first...wonder if maybe two golf cart motors, I note the motors seem to be on the tranaxel directly....one in front one in rear....front one obviously modded up with CV joints for steering....

eh, obviously no power steering and brakes.....no defrosters or power windows either....

Last edited:
I see a truck like Mike. Fill the bed with batteries, and the suspension is already there. A panel(like plywood) installed over them gives a usable area for stuff. A bed cap gives aerodynamics, with a platform for photovoltiac. A small generator/charger (hybrid) for peak power requirements. We once had a golf cart on a job site, 10 acres, that we used all day. We put a 1,000 watt gas gennie on the back. Ran all day long, and used 1 gallon of gas.
The regenerative braking is great. I bet 25-30 hp would suffice. I have the defenitive book on motors should you be interested Mike.
Gene, I would use the stock rear end, and just couple the motor to that. Driveshaft or direct coupling. I see nothing wrong with under the hood for weight balance and ease of maintenence., Mount your controls there too. Maybe a small kohler type gennie for back up.

Last edited:
If you need any Golf Cart parts let me know. I live in the golf cart capital of the world. EZ-GO & Club Car are based here. Know a few people that work for them. This would be an interesting project to watch. Parts up here are pretty cheap. Sounds like your only 4 to 5 hours away!

If you need any Golf Cart parts let me know. I live in the golf cart capital of the world. EZ-GO & Club Car are based here. Know a few people that work for them. This would be an interesting project to watch. Parts up here are pretty cheap. Sounds like your only 4 to 5 hours away!

Get a line on say two IDENTICAL drive lines, it looked to be on my neighbors machine that the motor was mounted to the diffy allmost directly solid axel and leaf spring....the front unit wold obviously have to be cut apart and some kind of CV coupler put in there for steering up front....

8hp on electric motors would equal about 500 hp on gasoline....

:shocking:

Get a line on say two IDENTICAL drive lines, it looked to be on my neighbors machine that the motor was mounted to the diffy allmost directly solid axel and leaf spring....the front unit wold obviously have to be cut apart and some kind of CV coupler put in there for steering up front....

I think 4 wheel drive is a waste. Unnecessary, and too hard to equalise speed/torque. They will fight each other. It should be able to go 60MPH.

I think 4 wheel drive is a waste. Unnecessary, and too hard to equalise speed/torque. They will fight each other. It should be able to go 60MPH.

You know, you right, just talking it over with a old buddy on email here and the thought struck me....ONE motor per wheel in the REAR only....save all that fabbing up some 1/2 shaft CV lubricated joint and crap....

pop that puppy outta the hub and forgetabout it entirely...just steering....

:flash:

Make sure that the Saturn or whatever donor car you decide on doesn't have a sunroof, load the top, hood, and rear deck with solar panels.

Charge while you drive.

I've also heard of some of these small wind powered generators, they aren't the turbine style, the car would look weird but the faster you went, the more power you'd be making.

Just a couple of thoughts...

:suspicious:

I've also heard of some of these small wind powered generators, they aren't the turbine style, the car would look weird but the faster you went, the more power you'd be making.

Nope. Now your talking perpetual motion. The more power generated by the turbine, the more HP required to move the car. :devil:

A golf cart motor will barely make a Saturn move. It would be dangerous.

How about finding a decent size motor say 40 hp minimum?

I don't know what a golf cart motor is.... probably about 4 hp.

They may not be fast but they will pull........we use a golf cart to tow
vehicles around our shop. As long as none of the tires are flat.......
and even up a hill.

Nope. Now your talking perpetual motion. The more power generated by the turbine, the more HP required to move the car. :devil:

Smyda's reply touches on the subject of torque vs HP....and we don't want to get sidetracked into that game....

IMO, electric motors are totally differant than any gas engine, their torque charactoristics are directly opposite....which is why internal comb engines need trannies, or be couples to a alternator then to the traction motors, like a locomotive.....

so with infinate torque from the git go, we can get by with about 10% of the HP requirements...ok maybe 20%, but you get the pix.....

hell, a Saturn engine lucky to make 100 hp....most of them, anyway....

another thing to ditch....the CAT ASS TROPH ICK converters....

Damn, you guys are all talking some weird language - generators, solar panels, couplers :twitch: :clobbered:

Wouldn't it be more fun to put a small block into a golf cart?