Been off working on the hot rod lately

chevy69

Hey guys - I haven't been doing much with the C3 and have kind of put the '69 on the back burner for a while (after getting the body back on the chassis). I have been devoting serious time to my '38 Dodge, I shot black satin paint on it over the holidays (john deere blitz black). I hope to be rolling in the next few months. Here are some pics (had help from my 2 sons 23 and 18).

the "orbs" in a couple of the pics are my camera - not the paint :cool:

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04548.jpg

DSC04556.jpg

DSC04595.jpg

DSC04642.jpg

38black05.jpg

38black02.jpg

DSC04659.jpg

DSC04656.jpg

VERY classic hotrod, some guys in the hood 55 years ago had one, 35-6 Ford coupe chebby V8? I don't remember I don't think it was a Flathead....

may have been a Y block....:yahoo:

and YES, satin/flat black is the look,

:1st:

Love the hot rods. Hey, I don't know if you've seen this site but I find it pretty good for general knowledge. www.hotrodders.com could be a big help to you.

Love the hot rods. Hey, I don't know if you've seen this site but I find it pretty good for general knowledge. www.hotrodders.com could be a big help to you.

THAT is funny, yet another crooked Florida hotrod shop....wonder if that owner of Streetbeats there knew Steve Szala...strangely enough also dead of cancer....maybe I should check out that claim.....then there is the other partners there, Kevin Hester and Tony Gonyon....Kevin stole 15 grand out of the company, and Tony doesn't appear to have profited any, but in fact he maybe have been yet another victim of the operation.....dubious name of...Hocus Pocus Engineering....supposedly named after a offshore racing boat....they were making much noise down the street from me in '97 when I moved here, I lost a ton of money on that crooked operation....Tony Gonyon is still around down the street here primarily into Mustangs.....Kevin Hester is still around dunno what he is doing though......Steve and Kevin were the two crooks that stole ton of money, parts from customer's cars, and various other under the counter dealings....they bounced company checks like crazy all over the joint....

then there was that web joint I supposedly owned with Doug Johnson who did die of brain cancer...and yet another crook named William F. Tschanen along with 5 alias names he uses.....he lives with his 'wife' Antionette Younan....I follow these guys, and one day will have some fun.....

:rofl:

Yes I plan to keep it in satin black - that is the look I was going for.

As far as the engine, right now it has a 350HO Deluxe GM crate backed up by a 4L60 4 spd automatic. My plans are to eventually build a vintage hemi for it and put that in but that may be a while. Those old Chrysler and Desoto hemi blocks are pretty scarce.

I also have a Mustang II front suspension and put a '72 Mustang 9" rear end in (on parallel leaf springs). Both kits came from Street Rod Engineering out of Lake Havasu, AZ.

For the gauges, I drew out the design I wanted on some cardboard stock and had a local machine shop make the mild steel piece on a water jet machine. I then cut out the old gauge holes and welded in the plate and finished it. I used VDO Cockpit Royale gauges which have the vintage look to them.

oh, and I do go to the hotrodders site as well as the H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com).
I am 38dodgebiz on both of those sites.

Last edited:
looking good .......you are also getting me inspired......i cant wait to start up again and start welding on the 37 ford. we are almost finished with all the rust repair, then we need to make some decisions on what exactly we are going to do.

looking good .......you are also getting me inspired......i cant wait to start up again and start welding on the 37 ford. we are almost finished with all the rust repair, then we need to make some decisions on what exactly we are going to do.

Hey Bob - how's that new house? Good to hear you are still working on the rod.

Tom

hotrodders.com is an excellent site: I have found a wealth of good info there. It really helped me with my engine rebuild & miscellaneous stuff not specifically Corvette. They do have some guys there who run plastic cars, though. I usually just lurk....The master list of car forums is very helpful as well (Crankshaft Coalition, I believe it is called).

Hey Bob - how's that new house? Good to hear you are still working on the rod.

Tom

the house is good we are just finishing the garage now and the hot rod should join me in about 3 wks or so, its at my brothers house under a tarp.

I need to finish the garage before i load it up with all my stuff....

Street rods are cool. My '38 Chev Coupe, 454, 4spd, Nova sub frame, great driver. Gone but not forgotten.....
tom6.jpg
I'm not tall, the car is really low....:cool:
Yer gonna love it!

Street rods are cool. My '38 Chev Coupe, 454, 4spd, Nova sub frame, great driver. Gone but not forgotten.....
tom6.jpg
Yer gonna love it!

Gotta LOVE it....great car....nice.....:drink:

tom6.jpg
Yer gonna love it!

I love the old Chevy Coupes. That must have really scooted with the 454 in there. I fell in love with a '37 Chevy Coupe (real similar to the '38) back in the mid 80s that was sitting neglected on the side of the road but the owner was "gonna fix it up some day" and told me that "$10,000 wouldn't move that car". I bet it's still sitting there.

A car setting in a carport around the corner from me here, was setting there for some time 12 years ago, has FINALLY got the first attention I seen to it....i'ts a Brit Green TR/MG/AH type little thing really thin tires and looking like 60's type....here in the last month or so, it's getting done....something is happening, I should stop by and inquire at some point, but would be nice to catch the guy working on it.....as opposed to knocking on the door....

:bonkers::hi: