Intercooler Install

enkeivette

I'm going to build a 25" x 6" air damn that will force air into the cooler at a 45 degree angle.

293628_800655383230_19912599_38099613_481633641_n.jpg

295754_800655413170_19912599_38099614_83094114_n.jpg

310935_800655443110_19912599_38099616_1680058982_n.jpg

295793_800655537920_19912599_38099621_1240221074_n.jpg

376213_808814587120_19912599_38171862_285658147_n.jpg

298567_808814417460_19912599_38171855_1774067279_n.jpg

300027_808814397500_19912599_38171853_544838797_n.jpg

Last edited:
would be more effective w holes in the nose ducting air down to it, with the angle it's laying at the air scooped from udnerneath will have a hard time flowing through the core

I was planning to block the air from the front, from going on top of it. There's not much room on top of it. The headlights rest on it.

I hate to say it, but I am glad I don't work on that car. What a PITA to work around all that added crap. Looks good. Don't get me wrong. Just looks awfully crowded.:eek:

I hate to say it, but I am glad I don't work on that car. What a PITA to work around all that added crap. Looks good. Don't get me wrong. Just looks awfully crowded.:eek:

Too boot it's ALWAYS the part at bottom of the heap you need get to....

ML101, first year mechanic school.....

:harhar:

But once it does....it really goes :) Looks OK to me

Got a silly question about that whole type setup, more on theory than practice.....

so we assume maybe 180f for engine temp.....incoming air ambient at say 80f, nice summer day, the compressor takes that air and at say ten lbs boost, it obviously gets very hot.....how hot?? and how much cooling does a well vented intercooler like that do?? lets say at 30 mph just for grins....

I have to think the final into the engine will still be over twice the ambient air temp....NO??

:nuts::huh:

Tough shit Big Bird! First thing when I get a job I'm hiring you to unfuck my wiring. Hahaha

My high beams don't work and neither does my horn, and I have a constant slow drain on the battery. I also want an MSD box and knock retard... ooo I can't wait till I have money again.

Last edited:

Got a silly question about that whole type setup, more on theory than practice.....

so we assume maybe 180f for engine temp.....incoming air ambient at say 80f, nice summer day, the compressor takes that air and at say ten lbs boost, it obviously gets very hot.....how hot?? and how much cooling does a well vented intercooler like that do?? lets say at 30 mph just for grins....

I have to think the final into the engine will still be over twice the ambient air temp....NO??

:nuts::huh:

Absolutely. I think supercharger and turbos can raise it up to the 180-220 range, and intercoolers bring it down to the 130-160 range.

While I was revving it with the bonnet facing away, purging the lines, the air coming out was hot. Like a hair dryer... Only after it got to operating temp though. It's cool for the first few mins, so don't be fooled.

I would very seriously consider doing a air to water intercooler if I were you. It works better and takes less space. I have a 75 vette and did a twin gt40 turbo in it. I took the turbos off now do to heat issues on the turbos but the intercooler setup worked great.

How about just putting a radiator fan on it and don't worry about a complicated air diverting system?

Did you ever document this build. Is it possible for us to duplicate this setup with off the shelf parts?

The input air to your supercharger is under hood air. This air is already in the low hundreds of degrees F. Ambient air is usually much cooler. You need cold air for the input to the supercharger. Before you worry about cooling the supercharger output air, you have to give it cool ambient air. Also, from what I see the supercharger is a centrifugal blower??????

Your intercooler, laying down, just doesn't look effective. I have a A&A supercharger in my 08. All air coming through the under grill radiator opening must go through the intercooler. The intercooler gets first priority on cooling air, the engine radiator and air conditioning condenser get hind tit.

If you do have centrifugal blowers, one comment as regards to my engine...To drive my 08 in street traffic and on the freeway, to just join the herd of cars, my 08 almost never goes above 2000 rpm. It does 1700 rpm at 70 mph on the freeway. At these speeds, the centrifugal blower provides no boost, especially since the bypass valve is open. I can sense the blower at 2500 rpm and at 3000 rpm its definitely there. With my centrifugal blower, I think I only need a intercooler at the 3000 rpm engine speed and above. BTW. The blower turbine spins at 7.5 times crank rpm. 6000 engine rpm is 45,000 rpm for the blower.

The input air to your supercharger is under hood air. This air is already in the low hundreds of degrees F..

Especially since the filter is laying right over the exhaust manifold. Kinda negates the work of the intercooler. I wonder if a duct could be run down to the "gill". It's all very tight.

And that is all hogwash, I have a cartridge maf in mine, it has an internal temp sensor that I can read in the data stream. I have my filter over the headers too and had been thinking about complicated cold air ducting systems and none were pleasing to the eye. So....I set off to actually measure it. I hooked a length of 3" brake duct to the SC and replaced the filter and guess what,...there was little or no difference to the intake air temp. So little that I call it an insignificant difference. This is with my water to air AC and the pump running, so I figured maybe the intercooler is taking out the heat as its supposed to but that will not allow me to test the theory of hot air entering the SC so I turned the pump off and let it run like that, the air temp raises but stabilizes and there is no big diff between where the filter is located either.

The input air to your supercharger is under hood air. This air is already in the low hundreds of degrees F. Ambient air is usually much cooler. You need cold air for the input to the supercharger. Before you worry about cooling the supercharger output air, you have to give it cool ambient air. Also, from what I see the supercharger is a centrifugal blower??????

Your intercooler, laying down, just doesn't look effective. I have a A&A supercharger in my 08. All air coming through the under grill radiator opening must go through the intercooler. The intercooler gets first priority on cooling air, the engine radiator and air conditioning condenser get hind tit.

If you do have centrifugal blowers, one comment as regards to my engine...To drive my 08 in street traffic and on the freeway, to just join the herd of cars, my 08 almost never goes above 2000 rpm. It does 1700 rpm at 70 mph on the freeway. At these speeds, the centrifugal blower provides no boost, especially since the bypass valve is open. I can sense the blower at 2500 rpm and at 3000 rpm its definitely there. With my centrifugal blower, I think I only need a intercooler at the 3000 rpm engine speed and above. BTW. The blower turbine spins at 7.5 times crank rpm. 6000 engine rpm is 45,000 rpm for the blower.

And here I thought a stock alternator was busy....holy shit man.....:hissyfit:

flow capacity? you loose a lot of air on the hot side, you need all the air cooled down, not most of it vented off.

Wow when did this thread start back up? Turtle called it, going to put fans on it. Already have two 10s that I ordered sitting in the garage.

Stingr, do you have loads of money and patience or something? I just don't understand why people always want to suggest doing something entirely different after it's already been done. Was it a serious suggestion or are you just trying to say what you would have done yourself?

Especially here considering you can see that I already mounted the intercooler, welded brackets to the frame, and cut intake tubes for it. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand why people do that. PS, air to air is actually more efficient. I was surprised, but it is.

75TT... very cool btw, post pics! Especially of your setup.

68/70 Vette, true true. I plan to route the air filter behind the drivers side gill.

The only problem with electric fans on the inter-cooler is that they need to be on full-time to be effective. It would be great if you could fab up a scoop.

P.S. Keep the intake tubing to the supercharger as short as possible. Maybe build a fresh air box for it somehow. My dyno testing on my set-up netted a 50 rwhp gain just by removing the bolt-on K&N air filter. (Attached directly to the inlet, no tubing).

Last edited: