C3 with a LS3

c3/ls3

I have a 69 C3 that I have installed a LS3 with the CTS oil pan. My question is I'd like to do a after market rack and pinion but not sure if it will clear the pan before I buy it. Has anyone done this swap?

Last edited:
I have a SBC roller engine pan sump in rear....and winter 01-02 I made my own rack conversion with help from Twin Turbo on here....and some other guys also, surely......this was done before any kits were on the market....so my brackets and such are just ME and a welder buddy, not really that difficult a job in fact....but the trick is the engine oil pan, having NO experience with any LS engine I dunno how it would work out....my install just misses the front of the oil pan, in fact I dinged it a tad with a hammer to get the lower bulge outta the pan, no issue with the engine clearances.....so if you have a rear sump, I can't imagine much issue for you.....:clap:

As it stands now the pan is 1/4 from the power assist ram now. Since the rack is much larger in diameter than the ram it won't work unless the kit drops the rack down quite abit

As it stands now the pan is 1/4 from the power assist ram now. Since the rack is much larger in diameter than the ram it won't work unless the kit drops the rack down quite abit

My rack is not nearly as lo as the oil pan/auto trans.....AS I RECALL the rack bellows are the largest diametr of the rack to make it about 3" I too have maybe 1/4 inch clearance, rack to pan.....:smash:

I have a 69 C3 that I have installed a LS3 with the CTS oil pan. My question is I'd like to do a after market rack and pinion but not sure if it will clear the pan before I buy it. Has anyone done this swap?

Get the plans posted here and make come cardboard templates. You should be able to visualize it.

I did a LS1 swap from a 2K4 GTO and the car has steeroids (ack) but it does fit with a moroso steel pan