Hood support/stay

OZgreen69

On my non original hood, the mounting point for the support is lower than the factory one ! Would you know if a 72/73 support/stay would work.
I tried to modify the original sliding support, but the geometry is different due to the lower, upper mount. So maybe a scissor action like the 72 could work if shorter?

thum_39345aa90a280b0ba.jpg Yellow trace is the original mounting point. Black the present one.

I fixed a hood with this issue by the following:

Drilled two new holes where needed.

Cut hole in hollow structural fiberglass near windshield.

Drilled and tapped two holes in 1/4 steel.

Slid steel down to location and bolted it up.

If you leave the hood on, tie some string or wire on your steel backing plate. You could drill extra holes for epoxy.

I've also used nutserts on another hood.

gas struts

I converted to a gas strut. They come in many lengths and spring rates to adapt to your changed geometry. They are lighter than stock piece and all the mounting hardware is readily available. These things are used a lot on campers and boats as well so many sources. Just search web for gas springs or gas struts.

Grampy

Attachments

• strut2.jpg
    strut2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 9
I swapped out my original hood support for a couple pieces I fab'd (to take a few ounces off from up front and up high). I made a prop rod from quarter inch diameter solid rod, welded a ring on one end that bolts to a pivot point on the hood where the original support bolted up, and then formed an aluminum piece that bolts to the fender where the original support bolted to. The prop rod has a short 90 degree bend on the lower end that fits into a hole in the lower aluminum bracket when holding up the hood. The same basic function as in a lot of newer cars, and this setup was slightly lighter than the stock support.

Thanks Gents, in fact I duplicated the factory one . I had that solution in front of my eyes but went blind instead !! A few sweaty minutes lowering the new plate and pop riveting it place !! :1st: