'72 Evaporator/aftermarket??

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
As many of you may remember, my '72 is a total hotrod, nothing stock, NOTHING,.....and so being old and in FLORIDA, both the car and I NEED air conditioning......

the evaporator leaks, not terrible, but it leaks.....I converted to serp drive long ago, with a Denso? compressor like on a '88091 vette, custom hoses, and not long ago replaced the condenser bought a leak detector and am running 134......

I hear that there are aftermarket systems out there, but what I need is something damn similar to the INSIDE dimension in the passenger compartment, I would not mind seeing the blower motor stay under the fender, and the evap housing removed and placed under the dash, or maybe just closer to the firewall, and stay in the engine bay......

The valving I have has been modified years ago to ensure good flow and good cooling....but I don't care if they are removed/changed....but one thing, turning the comp on/off is just annoying even though most cars do it that way today.....

SO who makes what?? and will sell the components necessary to get job done.....without wasting money buying stuff I don't need....
BTW, the fuel injection computer is hung behind the map pocket in front up top, next to the ducting....
and I want the interior ducting to look the same on the dash...no hangers on......

I like vintage air and you don't need to buy their compressor
Cleans things up in the engine compartment

I like vintage air and you don't need to buy their compressor
Cleans things up in the engine compartment

I going to contact them today, and hear what they say, need a parts catalogue from them....going to be an interesting engineering project for sure....

:beer:

Gene,

Vintage Air makes a direct fit system for 68-76 that even uses the stock looking control bezel. The biggest complaint I've seen over on the 'other' forum is that the connection to the center bezel vents leaves a lot to be desired. Make sure to ask specifically about this. Mine is a 77 and the controls changed that year, so I may go the route of using a different compressor, new stock evap coil in the original case, resealed original ducting behind the dash, stock controls with orifice tube/pressure cycling switch, and a new parallel flow condenser to make sure the R-134 cools properly.

While I like the fact that the Vintage Air evap case cleans up the firewall, my tall deck big block with Cal Custom valve covers still clears the evap case under the hood and I like the factory ducting behind the dash better than what Vintage Air offers. That being said, I'm still very interested to see what you come up with.

- Chris