Internal Body Aerodynamics

Just some thoughts/comments on a couple items in the link:

The variable ride height system. Unless the ride height change is just a temporary thing to get over some speed bumps, I've always wondered what the weight/complexity is of a system that allows the ride height to be changed (ie: dropped for track days) without causing the suspension geometry to go all to hell.

The (IIRC) second to the last drawing shows a wing on top of the car. I have kicked around that idea for the past twenty years. I don't care to permanently change the body styling of my car, so a temporary wing that "plugs" into the t-top roof structure appeals to me. What has stopped me so far is any actual data to show that the item would work decently on an older C3, given the "steep" windshield angle (possibly requiring a higher wing height to engage the air coming off the windshield) and the crappy aero shape behind the rear window. Also, a wing that high does cause a moment arm that tries to lift the front end, negating some of the downforce that the centered position tries to put on both axles. IIRC, the Chaparral 2H had a center mounted wing. I recall there were multiple teething pain issues with that car, so I don't know if that wing ever got a real chance to show its worth/potential.

If I had private access (to get away from all the "ricer" comments from others in attendance) to a track or large skidpad, I'd sure like to play with a "bolt-on" wing there to see if it was a productive use of additional weight and drag on the car.

Last edited:
69427- Yeah the 2H had a lot of problems - mostly one of visibility as I recall. Center-up is a pretty goop position for generating downforce, need to watch aerodynamic pitching moment, but should be favorable to the front wheels. You could tailor that by choosing appropriate NACA wing section.

I like the duct from rear wheel wells to the aft deck. Could be very helpful. Maybe a couple of 12v fans in the duct on a variable speed controller?

If you think of this mirror as the roof, here is a quick and dirty approach:
12695bf48cdc2a83c.jpg
Well, just use half of the mirror idea.

I just ignore the ricer comments... I'm looking for performance - not acceptance. Here is another guy like that:
12695bf48e10d09cc.jpg

I just had a "FLASH OF BRILLIANCE!" pull pressure from the wheel well - a good idea. But you could use the rear deck and a bit of aero-"worK" above it. Then plumb/weld/etc your exhaust through those (or other) vent to fill and provide downforce.
I'll go dig up a few F1 ideas on "Blown Exhaust" diffusers, that are running around.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
Just an idea or 2 to think on for that rear deck:
12695bf495a3b9a62.jpg

12695bf495a3c4e49.jpg

And remember a wing over a flat deck can have a huge increase in performance. This exhaust would boost that and fill that area (maybe? TBD)

Cheers Jim

Last edited:
Just some thoughts/comments on a couple items in the link:

The variable ride height system. Unless the ride height change is just a temporary thing to get over some speed bumps, I've always wondered what the weight/complexity is of a system that allows the ride height to be changed (ie: dropped for track days) without causing the suspension geometry to go all to hell.

Good points, patents can be vague, but I might look it up. Probably optimize geometry for track/road race height settings.

Right, The GM engineers have had their eyes open!

Here is "sort of" what I was thinking for the rear deck exhaust mod:
12695bf56d3b4f82e.jpg

You'd probably want it operational "at speed", so an electrically operated (solenoid) and a set of cut-outs could be installed into the normal underbody exhaust. At speed, the switch opens the cut-outs, the exhaust diverted to above the deck, and voila, drag decrease and increase in downforce.

A low, deck-wide airfoil section (wing) could be installed inches above the deck and the exhaust blown under the wing.

12695bf57161a7b22.jpg

DISCLAIMER: My CAD is down, and I lost my box of crayons - so its just in pencil...:nuts:

Some engineering of the exhaust size, flow, etc may be required. Perhaps the exhaust could use design details from the Boom-Tube approach?

Cheers Jim

Just an idea or 2 to think on for that rear deck:
12695bf495a3b9a62.jpg

12695bf495a3c4e49.jpg

And remember a wing over a flat deck can have a huge increase in performance. This exhaust would boost that and fill that area (maybe? TBD)

Cheers Jim

Is that some kind of scavenging effect?

Some time back in one of the road race bodies (can't remember which) guys were dumping the exhaust into/under the diffuser with some success. It got outlawed because when you let off the throttle you change the exhaust pressure and ultimately the downforce which resulted in loss of control in critical cornering situations. I kind-of have my diffuser set up that way. Moveable side skirts have, in the past, been outlawed for the same reasons - abrupt changes in downforce when the system fails (skirt sticks) which alters the car's downforce. Changing downforce rapidly or unexpectedly in a near-the-limit cornering situation can get your attention! In the rear I use a spoiler to lengthen the deck, a wing, and a diffuser. They should work together to both create downforce and smooth and reaccelerate the flowing air to blend with the free airstream behind the car, reducing drag. The wing is cockpit adjustable using an aircraft trim motor, but I haven't decided if I will try to mechanize it so it is active. Mary Pozzi and her husband ran an active wing on their pro-touring Camaro for a while, with some success.

Edit: Notice the grill where the license plate goes in the first photo. That is the exit duct for the forced (fan) cooling air coming from the rear end cooler. The inlets for the diff. cooler air are the side scoops just forward of the rear tires. There are also rearward facing louvers in the diffuser that exit air from the transmission cooler. The Corvette race teams have a rear grill (much larger) that exits air from the driver's air conditioner unit. They caught a lot of grief early on because they were using a very large fan and it was putting out a lot of forced air.

Pappy

56 rear.JPG

56 aero 6.jpg

56 wint.JPG

Last edited:
69427-
If you think of this mirror as the roof, here is a quick and dirty approach:
12695bf48cdc2a83c.jpg
Well, just use half of the mirror idea.

I just ignore the ricer comments... I'm looking for performance - not acceptance. Here is another guy like that:
12695bf48e10d09cc.jpg

Cheers - Jim

The gated extensions you see on the back of tractor-trailer rigs were designed by NASA at the Armstrong Flight Research Center to reduce drag and increase fuel economy - they work pretty well. Have you noticed that sometimes a NASCAR car runs faster with the tail panel knocked off? NASCAR won't yet let them have a diffuser that runs from the fuel cell to the bottom of the rear panel to clean up the "parachute" that the hanging rear panel creates. Also NASCAR "squares off" the back of the rear quarters on super speedway cars to reduce drag while they do not do that on short track cars where downforce, not speed, is important.

Pappy

Pappy

Here are a couple of shots of the exit air louvers in the diffuser that I mentioned in an earlier post. The larger openings are where the exhaust exits.

56 Corvette Diffuser 1.jpg

56 Corvette Diffuser 2.jpg

PAPPY:
In the rear I use a spoiler to lengthen the deck, a wing, and a diffuser. They should work together to both create downforce and smooth and reaccelerate the flowing air to blend with the free airstream behind the car, reducing drag.

Another advantage of the spoiler - it makes a significant increase in the wing's effectiveness. WIG - Wing in Ground.

These from Katz: [Multi-element]
12695bf6fb63517a0.jpg

[Single element]
12695bf6fb63688e8.jpg

Blown Diffusers: Nice comprehensive article here:
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/diffuser_blown.html

CF Ducting from below cabin to slit exits skip the exhaust if a concern.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited:
It's a dirty job --- Duct Work

:search:

Here is an idea that looks really well done:
12695bfea93965773.jpg

That is on a Porsche 917 - Long Tail. It appears they built these to provide cooling to the transaxle:
12695bfea939831ac.jpg

The scoops they used on deck were located below the wing:
12695bfea939c5bbf.jpg

Nice integration of the ducts to the rear deck shown here:
12695bfea9399d740.jpg

With a little imagination, you can see how this approach could be reversed to pull air from the high pressure region in the rear wheel wells and dump on the rear deck of the coupe C3s as previously mentioned.

I keep looking at these ideas and continue to "over-think" my C3 bodywork. Ahhh, madness.

Those linkages -- if interest, I'll add details on those too.

Cheers - Jim

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5t2Tt4lWoM[/ame]

WOW! Thanks for that.

I like their "car-inside-a-car" approach for the rear end. It suggests some interesting opportunities using Carbon Fiber "appendages" over existing shape to further improve overall aerodynamics, by creating some internal volumes and shapes with improvements at the same time. [Time Reference 3;45 to 3:58.]

Thanks for posting that one!

Cheers - Jim

Another recent one.

He mentions the wing, but looks like lots of aero work was done that is not discussed.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37q2Ju5nr0&app=desktop[/ame]

Kind of interesting. Mostly computer generated I think.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYaIXWNOa_A&app=desktop[/ame]

Check out that grill-spitter arrangement. I would have guessed more HP, after seeing the roll cage.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtHjIe13aU[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ts_j5Pmwb0&app=desktop[/ame]

Some good views of the car.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSL8dPrsJk[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBu8oD69IZQ[/ame]

Lots of aero. Those active fender flaps are extreme.