Machine shop rant

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
Many of you have read about the smoke issues I have had with the 383 I had built for my 79 Corvette. Recently I had the motor removed and disassembled and sent to yet another machine shop. Here is what they found - Cylinders out of round, deck not square and the wrong piston rings. All of this from a shop that has years of good reviews and is supposed to have a good reputation. The only thing that they did well was the 3 way valve job and head work.

Stay away from this shop

Engine Specialties
203 Carriage Ln
Delran, NJ
The owners name is Scott

Now another block is being prepped by the new machine shop as this one is over bored and beyond repair.

Most of the shops that did good work in my area went under in the last 10 years. Everybody buys a crate motor now and no one "builds" anything any more.

It's a shame. The last guy that went under had been going since the 50's.

Many many moons ago, I Pontiac buddy with a purrfect '68 Goat in his garage for some 40 years now, had the engine redone....I recommended a NASCAR engine shop down the road a piece.....cost him like 4-5 grand but it was really nice and pretty....still runs of course.....

I had the heads/intake redone on my '72 Vette here, long story as to just why....and so took it to a shop across the river and they did just fine...they have a good reputation.....

:drink:

That sux big time ! Who ya usen next? im over in Williamstown NJ

We have a close family friend in Bellmawr NJ who works for BMW that is doing the work. He's a big time Chevy guy and very meticulous about his work. Wish I had of known about you sooner, the car sat in may garage for the last 5 years.

I guess that's one good thing about where I live - it's the HQ of O'Reilly Auto Parts, and their engine shop is reputed to be both excellent and reasonably priced. It's not something that's too widely known or advertised - My guess is that it's something of a holdover from their more local days, and a perk for their higher-ups that just happens to be open to the public.

We have a close family friend in Bellmawr NJ who works for BMW that is doing the work. He's a big time Chevy guy and very meticulous about his work. Wish I had of known about you sooner, the car sat in may garage for the last 5 years.
:)

HBR COMPETITION ENGINES owned & operated by Rick Rapp. He used to be located in Hollywood, Fla. He was local to me at the time & that's how I got to know him. Around 1990 he built me a "badass" 383. Since then he has moved to LAS VEGAS, Nevada. I put approx. 3,000 miles per year on the car & have the engine freshened up after about 15,000. I do not "beat the shit" outta the car but I do use it (go to the track a couple times a year & do plenty of burnouts over the course of time). I like the car/engine running good all the time. So over the passed 10-15 years he has freshened up the engine a couple of times (build more HP each time) & I have no problem shipping him the engine. He arranges the pick up & delivery, I build the "crate" (steal a pallet & use some scrap lumber). Just as a "crate" engine can be shipped to you. It's just as easy to find a GOOD engine builder nationwide.

There are many reasons why I stuck with Rick, the #1 reason is personal service & great customer service. You will actually build a close relationship with him. I can't say enough about him.

BTW...I'm in West Palm Beach,Fl.

Last edited:
Progress report

The new engine is back and installation has started. This one is a 355, the numbers are a bit more modest but still should be a lot of fun on the street and at the track. Torque = 390 and HP = 355.