Front Spindle Top Bolt

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
The top bolt that holds the caliper bracket to the spindle is an 11/16-16 x 7/8L hex bolt. I need a 11/16-16 x 1 5/8L bolt. I was expecting to buy a longer (maybe 2"L) bolt and cut down. However, I can't find any 11/16 bolts in any size. Fastenal, McMaster, Grainger, ARP, you name it. There are wheel studs available nut that does not really get me there.

The closest I can find is a 18mm x 1.5 x 40mmL bolt. I would have to re-tap the threads but this seems to be my only solution.

Any ideas where I might find that bolt? Maybe an old tractor?

Just taking a break and having a cup of coffee, and read your thread. For amusement I started looking around for 11/16" bolts. You are correct that they are RARE! I saw on one site that a couple guys said that Detroit Diesel and Cummins uses 11/16" headbolts on some applications. I'll keep looking around 'til I hit the bottom of the cup.

Do a search for Hagen Ace Hardware.....32073 it's down the road from me.....

they are the go to place for nutz and boltz......

we also have a Tractor Supply here in town, maybe try them too.....they are further down the road, so surely the zip is changed...so try Middleburg Florida;)

In both places you need ask for the nutz and boltz expertz.......

You Piqued My Currosity - So Had To Go Looking Too

(damn caps lock)

Over on Hot Rod forum some fellow was looking for the same thing. His solution:

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your suggestions! What I finally did is put a bushing in the chassis bracket (5/8-7/8), drill a 5/8" bolt & put a Zircon in it for grease, and use 2 nuts to lock the inside shackle on. I also had to drill the outside shackle so it fit on the non threaded end of the bolt.
Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Probably wont work in your situation, however. Machinist?

Good Luck!

Cheers - Jim

BTW - How did you find the pitch and diameter - just wondering if the "measurements/assumprtion" might be off

Yeah, they are rare. I had to buy a tap that size a few years ago for that caliper bracket bolt you referred to. Found one online.

Maybe an old tractor?

Do you mean that a Vette is an old tractor ?? :lol: Well! In some aspects, Yes !:stirpot:

I'll keep looking around 'til I hit the bottom of the cup. :lol::lol:

Bairs would most likely have that bolt for a reasonable price.

The top bolt that holds the caliper bracket to the spindle is an 11/16-16 x 7/8L hex bolt. I need a 11/16-16 x 1 5/8L bolt. I was expecting to buy a longer (maybe 2"L) bolt and cut down. However, I can't find any 11/16 bolts in any size. Fastenal, McMaster, Grainger, ARP, you name it. There are wheel studs available nut that does not really get me there

Understood on the size, just to be correct this is the bolt at 12 o'clock on the front spindle assemblies that goes through the backing plate first, right? That is the only one I can think of in that location and I have only seen those on the vettes but as mentioned who knows what else may have had them.

Tap the spindle threads out one size up?

Looked all over and nothing comes up. I don't want to do the metric re-tap because I have to modify the bracket to accommodate the bigger hex. I think I am just going to make a new bracket and use the old Corvette bolt.

449288be928114.jpg

Looked all over and nothing comes up. I don't want to do the metric re-tap because I have to modify the bracket to accommodate the bigger hex. I think I am just going to make a new bracket and use the old Corvette bolt.

449288be928114.jpg

Why not a rear brake location if you are going to make a new bracket? Other than losing the dust shield.

I like your billet bracket, the stamped oem one is pretty crude.

I was tempted to tap to 18mm x 1.5 but I decided to re make or modify the aluminum bracket instead.

Try king bolt in West Covina, calif or so cal bolt in upland calif. they will ship. Or even Allen bolt in bull head city arizona I think

Nice brackets, what are we doing?

Nice brackets, what are we doing?

The brackets are for Brembo calipers. I had to change the rotors to C6 because the other rotor hat offset put the calipers back too far in the wheel. Looked awful.

Yeh, I wish there was a cheeeeeep way to get the stock calipers up/out toward my '89 vette wheels, with 2.5" thick wheel adapter in there...they all lost in space now....like to paint them Gloss black metallic, not that it would show all that much, but with the green car....RED/etc would look like crap....

Has anyone made a bracket to move the front caliper to the rear of the spindle?