improving underhood ventilation

Belgian1979vette

With the use of headers the underhood temperatures on my C3 can get quite high. I don't want to use the exhaust wrap on the exhaust to reduce this somehow and don't want to buy new headers either.

What would be the best way to improve underhood ventilation without tearing things apart ?

I went through this in FL, here are a few ideas:

- vented my l88 hood (in the v shaped depression).
- opened up side vents behind front tire. Not very noticeable appearance wise.
- return type fuel regulator. It fixed the vapor lock.
- removed front headlights. Left the holes open.
- installed small pusher fan in front of rad.

The pusher fan really helped engine temps at idle.

A chin spoiler is supposed to help too.

I you can find a company that do ceramic coating in your country, do it.
I am still amazed how low the under hood temp can be after a nice track session ! I had the complete system coated inside and out , cannot even burn your leg on the side pipe !

I you can find a company that do ceramic coating in your country, do it.
I am still amazed how low the under hood temp can be after a nice track session ! I had the complete system coated inside and out , cannot even burn your leg on the side pipe !

The problem is that the headers are old and have rust inside. The fit really well, which is why I want to retain them.

The problem is that the headers are old and have rust inside. The fit really well, which is why I want to retain them.

Might be worth it to put them in an electrolysis bath to remove the rust inside so you can get them coated

I agree. I'm not familiar with the exact process that was used, but the company that ceramic coated my (15 years old at the time) headers managed to get them cleaned up inside and out, and coated them inside and out. They still look great 25 years later.

I have kind of figured that the side vents on c3s don't function as well as they should. there is a company that is called track spec that makes vents that you can install on your hood. they have one for the l88 hood and everyone on facebook is saying they get great results from it.

I was looking into getting these c6 vents for mine since my l88 hood has an air chamber
http://trackspecmotorsports.com/shop-by-vehicle/c6-corvette-side-louver-set

When I installed the spc a-arms, I deleted those dust shields. That should help ventilate.

i cant tell from pictures is that behind the radiator core support or in front of it?

? No photos in this thread. If you mean the fan in the other thread, it is in front. My apologies for this reply, if I'm guessing wrong.

i cant tell from pictures is that behind the radiator core support or in front of it?

? No photos in this thread. If you mean the fan in the other thread, it is in front. My apologies for this reply, if I'm guessing wrong.

so I was looking on line and googling the pace car front scoop. if the front scoop is in front of the radiator core support you may be depriving your car of the air it needs? can it be removed easily? if so put a 90* sheet metal damn on the bottom of the core support and see if it make a difference. this force air up into radiator and made a huge difference in cooling my car...you can only see the shadow of it in this photo

houseremodelphotos029.jpg

Last edited: