Home Depot Header Build Fixture

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I need to merge shorty headers on a BB Corvette with Magnaflow pipes on a car that does not have a body on it. Wanted to make sure I cleared the floor of the car, oil filter and starter and have the pipes no lower than the oil pan. So I built this 2x4 holding fixture that maintains alignment from the header flange to the crossmember tubes that the pipes go through.

Noe that I have this I'm thinking I could use it to make some long tube headers!

45b4e23ae73ff0.jpg

45b4e23ae90090.jpg

After seeing the video on YouTube where the guy prototyped a tracked atv out of wood, then built it with steel, I'm a believer.

Looks good, should be easy to work on.

I'm a fan of making a jig whenever possible.

The alternative is having to weld stuff underneath the car, which is damn uncomfortable, both physically and mentally (regarding fire).

Keep the pictures coming as progress happens. :thumbs:

Got modified headers back today. Now to see if I will have any issues with the floor. Have to wait until I put the body on.

45b6c5e71f25d3.jpg

Looks good, who made the original headers? Are they stainless?

Thanks. The original headers are stainless. They are the the Chinese headers that are sold on Ebay. I have to say, they look like good stuff, 3/8 flanges, 3" collector, nice welds.

And a plan comes together! Pipes are dead nuts center in the crossmember tubes.

45b7df4eedca0c.jpg