Carbon Fiber Parts

where are you located?

That's pretty cool pic you have there. Those kinds of cars I would think could benefit from our carbon parts.

I`m sure you have the best of intentions and I know Carbon Fiber is very costly but my lightweight fiberglass hood (24lbs) was built from my mold by 5 Star stock car bodies in Wisconsin for $160 and it is the nicest piece of fiberglass I have ever seen.

Fiberglass isn't a bad option. It just won't hold up over time like Carbon Fiber will. For your hood to be 24 lbs, it's not likely as structurally strong as the stock hoods. A CF one would be stronger and only 12 lbs.

Dash and door panels might be profitable in cf. The oem ones are cheaply made, wear out, are expensive, and heavy.

I'm hoping to get some more info by the 28th of this month. I will be meeting with the group that will build my parts for about a week (not just for parts though). I'll keep you all posted with what I come up with.

As of right now, it looks like what we will start making first will be the one piece carbon T-top. Hoods will come, but I will wait until there are some request numbers on a particular style before plunging into that category.

There is also thoughts of making a carbon hard top. Would this be of interest to anyone?

I'm moving forward with making a carbon convertible hard top for my car. I'll post more info and pictures as it comes along.

IMG_1113.jpg

I picked up an old aftermarket HT and was surprised at how light it is compared to others. If you are making a light weight version too, have a look at this mounting scheme. Basically 4 bolts hold on the top.

That is the front, the back is similar.

IMG_1113.jpg

I picked up an old aftermarket HT and was surprised at how light it is compared to others. If you are making a light weight version too, have a look at this mounting scheme. Basically 4 bolts hold on the top.

Isn't that basically how the originals hooked on? Not bolts but latches in the rear and front. What would be more beneficial with the bolts? Wouldn't they be hard to latch well from under the rear hatch?

Isn't that basically how the originals hooked on? Not bolts but latches in the rear and front. What would be more beneficial with the bolts? Wouldn't they be hard to latch well from under the rear hatch?

The bolts appear to attach vertically. So instead of all the clamps, bolts, and brackets, you have 4 bolts. probably a few lbs difference. If the cf top is for looks it wouldn't be a big deal. If you are doing a lightweight top this would be the lightest way.

The bolts appear to attach vertically. So instead of all the clamps, bolts, and brackets, you have 4 bolts. probably a few lbs difference. If the cf top is for looks it wouldn't be a big deal. If you are doing a lightweight top this would be the lightest way.

I'd definitely be more focused on the function of the piece vs the look but I'm sure there will be those that would want it purely for the look.

Progress is being made. Not as quickly as I would have liked, but progress nonetheless.

I would purchase the a piece to cover the wiper compartment on a '73. Currently the fiberglass piece I have has been modified & hydrodipped. Some of the body work on the piece is starting to show (5 years later). So I wouldn't mind a real carbon fiber piece.

I would purchase the a piece to cover the wiper compartment on a '73. Currently the fiberglass piece I have has been modified & hydrodipped. Some of the body work on the piece is starting to show (5 years later). So I wouldn't mind a real carbon fiber piece.

Care to share some pictures of it? Eventually, IF things go well I'd like to produce all of the body panels, so the wiper door cover is definitely on my radar. It's easy enough, I'm sure it could be produced much sooner than the rest.

Last edited: