POWER and GOOF up's.......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
My buddy the union welder that helps me on my car, well, seems the power plant up the road on north side, some jackass tossed ONE THOUSAND gallons of COLD water into a high pressure steam line....joining the boiler to the turbine....the line WAS 30" diameter and some 2000?' long it used to run at 1200f temps, and 3000 psi......that dont seem right, but it's what he said off his cphone en-rout home just now....

the supporting beams he said were some 2" solid steel, and were cut in half like nothing there....

:crutches:

there is physics, then well, there is physics....:bomb::devil:

so he picking up emergency 12 hour daze for the last week, emergency shut down....

:hi:

OH, edit....he mentioned some other pipe that was 3/4 wall thickness.....it got tossed in the action, and so it got DINGED......a ding in the side of a 3/4 inch piece of steel NOT caused by war.....oops....

Last edited:
That'd be superheated steam. Good stuff when it's contained. Spring a leak and it's bad news.
To find a leak, use a broom handle. Wave it around in front of you as you walk the line- when the end of the handle falls off, you found the leak. Invisible, high pressure, and real hot. It'll cut steel like a plasma cutter.

Well, he may well be off to see the wizard, NW Canada, the oil shale project....

50 bux/hour + lodging and 3 squares, + time &1/2 and double....working like 7/10+ hour shifts, for 3 months.....he figgers his TAKE home will be 2500 bux/week....

nice money.....in -30f weather.....after that IF he is one of, get THIS....3500 welders...that is selected for the site, not only has the certs, but has to be proven drug and akly free for a LONG TIME now....

he said that, and I replied that it should be easy, yeh, for HIM, but he says that leaves out something like 50% of the certified welders right there...union or not, they can't pass a wizz quiz.....

:suicide: so in 3 months he comes back and can stick some money aside, he says going to the islands and lay on the beach for a couple weeks to get his body back to 'normal'....well, normal for HIM anyway....

he is in his 40's divorced, ex was screwing round on him when he was TDY, and so has had many g/friends living there over the years, toss the last one a couply years, she wouldn't get OFF her fat ass and get a JOB....was his primary complaint....:noworry:

He's the guy with the beautiful '68 burgundy Goat...

:lol::cool:

And here's some more steam info for you to noodle too Gene....super heated steam typically goes through a steam dryer before it hits the service lines....

And here's some more steam info for you to noodle too Gene....super heated steam typically goes through a steam dryer before it hits the service lines....

to DRY WATER?? WTF??:crap:

I'm with Gene on this one. What would the "drier" remove? I presume it would be under significant pressure but not so much that it would contain liquid no?

Last edited:
Steam is not water. It has changed state to a gas by the excitement of it's atoms. The moisture in steam is water vapor from unchanged water or steam that has already started condensing, that is, changing state back to water. Water also changes state to a solid when it's atoms are slowed down. We call that ice.
For every BTU it takes to heat a pound of water one degree, it takes 970 Btus to make it change state. That why steam contains so much energy if you can capture & use it.