My new rear is in.....

Jsup

And now......the fkn thing is leaking all over the place. I had the whole thing gone over by a professional.

It's not leaking from a gasket. I used dino 85-140.

WTF?

Would an out of balance driveshaft make it leak?

I had to swap driveshafts to the shorter one, and when doing that, had to swap yokes on the trans side. I'm sure it can use a balance.

Any suggestions?

It appears to be leaking from the front seal. Again, I HAD THIS THING COMPLETELY OVERHAULD BY A PROFESSIONAL new seals and all.

Who did the "professional" work ?

Will you have to ship it if they offer to fix it for you ?

Might be easier and quicker to get a new front seal from the Zone and fix it yourself.... check if there's some non-hardening sealer (Permatex #2 f.e.) under the seal, when I replaced mine I goop'd it up with grease, 4 years and no leak..... .... makes me wonder how "professional" the rest of the work is.... :rain:

JOHN, maybe check with Gary or Mike on this, but it is my recollection the front pinion seal has to be seated with the flange 1/8 inch or so from being flush in/against the casting...I dunno why it's so weird that way,.....shoving it further home makes the seal ride off the end of the yoke.....

:gurney::drink:

Who did the "professional" work ?

Will you have to ship it if they offer to fix it for you ?

Might be easier and quicker to get a new front seal from the Zone and fix it yourself.... check if there's some non-hardening sealer (Permatex #2 f.e.) under the seal, when I replaced mine I goop'd it up with grease, 4 years and no leak..... .... makes me wonder how "professional" the rest of the work is.... :rain:

I sent it here:
http://drivelinesolution.com/

They will fix it, but $40 each way for shipping, probably can do it locally cheaper.

I used the "right stuff" to mount the diff to the cover, not leaking there.

I had the entire thing rebuilt, new gears, etc... just re used the carrier housing and the case.

We had to swap the drive shaft to the shorter one, and swap the yoke. I am suspicious that there was an imbalance that may have wasted the seal.

Thoughts on that?

JOHN, maybe check with Gary or Mike on this, but it is my recollection the front pinion seal has to be seated with the flange 1/8 inch or so from being flush in/against the casting...I dunno why it's so weird that way,.....shoving it further home makes the seal ride off the end of the yoke.....

I think I'm going to pull it out and have a local company look at it.

I think I'm going to pull it out and have a local company look at it.

PIA....:eek::surrender:

If you swapped the yoke, did you put permatex on the splines? Also, is it a new or ol yoke? how's the condition of the sealing surface?

If you swapped the yoke, did you put permatex on the splines? Also, is it a new or ol yoke? how's the condition of the sealing surface?

I didn't mount the yoke, so I don't know. We reused the old yoke. Don't know about the sealing surface, have to look at it.

Yeh, any diffy will leak from the splines out past the washer and nut....

so I use my olde tyme favorite RTV for sealing it, when bone stone dry....

don't ask....

:hissyfit::hunter:

Didn't read correctly, you swapped the tranny yoke. In that case, the guy that built it messed up. Either the seal is crooked (the seal goes all the way on these, it's completely different from the old Eatons that Gene is talking about)

24a11d3f14c2ec.jpg

The left one without the pinion mount on it is a C4 D44.

I'll be pulling the fkn thing out again this weekend. Stay tuned. I'll take pics this time.....

Rear is out......need to find out where it's leaking...I'm off to the pool. I'm having the driveshaft balanced this week and a local professional look at it to see if he can determine the leak.

Same as a speedy sleeve, a very thin stainless sleeve you can install over a pitted sealing surface (often used on balancers)

Same as a speedy sleeve, a very thin stainless sleeve you can install over a pitted sealing surface (often used on balancers)

OMG forgot all about them, I had one on the last Pontiac engine I had built....20 years ago.....yup....lasted for years under hard use too...

:drink:

Watch out for cheap parts, I had what I thought was a good seal and speedy sleeve setup, found the sleeve ripped. Took the 12 of them I had in stock and threw them all out. Use only CR/SKF or Nationals.

Watch out for cheap parts, I had what I thought was a good seal and speedy sleeve setup, found the sleeve ripped. Took the 12 of them I had in stock and threw them all out. Use only CR/SKF or Nationals.

Thanks. The gears are SPICER Hardened gears. The clutch pack, I don't know. He had to replace it.

I don't know on the seals either. I'll find out.

Thanks.

Some pics of the job:

365237107.jpg

365237102.jpg

365237097.jpg

365237095.jpg

365235990.jpg

365235789.jpg

365235773.jpg

365235990.jpg

Last edited: