Fiberglass repairs

Fuelie74

I have always heard that you should never seam a panel a Corvette where there wasn't a factory seam because it will cause problems in the future. Is this something that is always true or not. Seems to me like if you ground it out and laid new glass that the panel would be good as new and not give problems in the future.

90 vette spoiler holes repaired

deckholesfilled2.jpg

82 hood having scoop grafted

hppdscoopinstall1.jpg

original 75 gas cap hole filled and 82 gas cap grafted along with convertible rear clip

1982corvette4.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. I know that many people graft parts together like that all the time, but am wondering if they cause problems in later years like I have been told.

The BB hood was grafted onto my '72 SB hood, and lasted over 10 years here in Florida, sun rain, all of it....even a few blasts to below zero....

it finally started a recurring bulge/blister in the paint along the splice line there, and I can't figger why, except it's water, I suspect....dunno what else to think....

:stirpot:

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. I know that many people graft parts together like that all the time, but am wondering if they cause problems in later years like I have been told.

Maybe, but I don't see how. Maybe if the patch area wasn't prepped and perhaps oils from skin were left or it wasn't sealed right. I've seen many repairs using an epoxy top coat. You tube has a lot of videos on fiberglass repairs and I have seen one good video on smc hole repair on a hood. I would think the main reason for troubles later on would be incompatible resins.

Here is a pretty good video on how to separate whole sections factory bonding seams for entire panel replacement.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6YC5Iys_I[/ame]