I was looking at the Dana 60 IRS for sale...

1981Z06Vette

...and I agree its a good deal for someone who wants a bulletproof rear and has a track only car (spool and 4.88s is a bit much for a street car; a new posi and gears would add another $700 or so to the cost). I have seen the Tom's rears, as well, and was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative? Pics of the Dana 60 unit got me thinking...since they used a Hemi style housing with the pinion snubber mount to bolt it into the Vette, why couldnt you use a modern 12 bolt or S60 housing, designed for an F-body (since they have a built in torque arm mount), or even one of the 9" housings? Most of the suppliers could build it narrowed, and supply custom axles to accept the halfshafts. I'm thinking this could be done for less than $2500, not including the halfshafts. Thoughts? I have always been known for overkill in the driveline department, and was thinking this may just be the answer for a modern IRS, with none of the limitations of the factory housing.

i have seen 9" and 12 bolt IRS units (pics and articals) the DANA 60 is a step up as far is being bullit proof ,,, i also wonder if it was used it to make weight because there where alum. dana 60's that held up to hemi's