REM Coating to Reduce Diff Temps

68/70Vette

Does anyone have any experience with having the differential ring and pinion gears REM coated? Apparently, the gears are coated and then the parts are placed in a vibratory bowl with tiny ceramic beads. The gears come out looking like they are chrome plated. The advantage of this technique is cited as being that friction between the ring and pinion teeth is greatly reduced and the differential runs much cooler. Much cooler translates as maning less power loss due to friction in the differential. An acquaintance of mine did this and was very satisfied with the results. I've since lost contact with him. (He spent tons of money on his C4.)

To read about the process start by Googling "REM coatings.' I don't know how much it costs....almost afraid to ask! Oh, and some of the REM coaters also start out by soaking the ring and pinion in liquid nitrogen. This has a beneficial effect on the metal crystal strucure apparently.

If your serious I can give you a number for a guy in OK who does this full time ...

I'm interested definately, but since I'd like to get some sort of awareness as to how useful and how exensive it is. The process micro polishes the teeth surfaces. Another thought is that after the diff is used for a few ten's of thousands of miles, will the thrust surfaces polish themselves naturally? I would be willing to call. It'd be good to hear some testimonials from people who have actually done this. Thanks