OK so this may be a little controversial

Sure there a more but those are the more popular ones. Can't think of any Nascar drivers turn professional motocross.

You're joking, right?:confused2: Hell will freeze over before a NASCAR driver drops DOWN to racing professionally at a motocross event. Compare the award money for winning a motocross race to a NASCAR cup race. It wouldn't pay one installment on their houses.

And those three you named would be more convincing if they won more than ONE race.

Your right, Hell would freeze over if they could even qualify.

Why would they bother? The winnings aren't even pocket change for them. Why do you think all the stickboys doing motocross want to move UP to NASCAR? Money talks...:bs: walks...or rides motocross bikes :nuts:

Straight from the Horses's Mouth

Since Ricky Carmichael was mentioned, one of the guys following this thread was nice enough to provide me with a link to Carmichael's actual comments about learning to drive in NASCAR. Makes for interesting reading:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2005-11-29-carmichael-future_x.htm

I especially like this quote:" It was a lot harder than people think. People say, 'Oh, you just get in and turn left.' But it ain't that way, let me tell you."

Give it up, Dep. There is no way in hell that auto racing is anywhere near as difficult as motocross. As far as my street bike vs. car racing comments go, don't flatter yourself into thinking that I am aware of you owning any bikes. I haven't any idea who you are, what you own or what your lifestyle is and my comments were not directed toward you. This entire debate was brought on because of a mindless drifter who was offended by the fact that I said, "If I can race motocross for 5 years, I think I am capable of racing a car". I stand by my statement that any pro motocrosser can race a car, with some practice, to some decent level of proficiency but a race car driver would never be able to race motocross competitively on a pro level. JS292 disclosed some facts that prove this. Your arguments that the reason for this is related only to financial reasons, are complete nonsense. Racers love to race and it is not just about money. The fact is that pro motocross racers are supreme athletes while auto racers, while skilled in their craft, are not. The main point is, if I did fairly well at a sport like motocross there isn't any reason to believe that I will not do well on a road course. I drive cars everyday. It's not exactly brain surgery.

Rick Johnson is another motocross racer who, after retiring from moto, raced 4 wheel motorsports and did very well. I believe that he raced in 4 wheel drive trucks.

Last edited:
Hey Hey Hey now.

If you're looking for fast guys from two wheels to four... you need to look at guys like Eddie Lawson and Wayne Rainey and a few others from what is now MOTO GP. I think one of the guys is now a World Rally Car Champ.

Motocross is tough! acknowledged as one of the most physically demanding sports. (to tough for me... I was a wimpy flat tracker and roadracer)

I submit that the transition from two to four is easier than the other way. Many of the skills seem to transfer. Seat time and money in any order you like combined with talent, aptitude, and desire make for good competitors.

If you've ever tucked the front wheel, high sided a bike, or had the bike try to occupy the same space as you after your initial departure, 4 wheels seems much safer AT SIMILAR SPEEDS. In the 80's and 90's when I was racing at regional level it was not uncommon to see a fatality on any given weekend... I've only crashed on two wheels in competition once SINCE 1999 and that resulted in two broken ribs and a bruised elbow. That ended it for me until this year when I will make a comeback :bonkers: at the VRRA round in August at Mosport :crutches:.... Should be quite a show :flash:

IMG_7902.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

MKS_2386.jpg

Last edited:

If you've ever tucked the front wheel, high sided a bike, or had the bike try to occupy the same space as you after your initial departure, 4 wheels seems much safer AT SIMILAR SPEEDS. ........

BTDT! (Where the hell is the I Agree icon?)

I'm not really interested in getting in the middle of all this, but I do seem to recall Joe Leonard was a motorcycle champion and won several Indy car races after his bike career.

There is no way in hell that auto racing is anywhere near as difficult as motocross. .

It takes your entire body to steer and control the bike... in my case 230lbs of control, I'm way too fat for these bikes. it takes a lot to handle a street bike at high speeds and even more to handle a MC.. for example the greatest F1 driver of all times, Michael Schumacher just participated in a few motorbike races.... he did not perform well (to say the least)...

Last edited:
Here's a few more that have made a cross over from two to four wheels;

Malcolm Smith - He is a six-time winner of the Baja 1000, three times on a motorcycle and three times in a car; a four time winner of the Baja 500; has twice won the Mint 400 in Nevada and the Roof of Africa Rallye; participated in the Paris Dakar Rally twice; and was the overall winner of the Atlas Rallye in the mountains of Morocco.

Larry Rosseler - Won around 16 Baja 1000 races on a bike and is now racing Trophy trucks.

Travis Pastrana - Multi time mx and sx champion is now racing Rally cars.

As far as Ricky Carmaichael saying it isn't as easy as it looks; who in there right mind would crossover to a new arena a say they got it covered (although he doesn't). The man has good PR skills and is humble in nature. Besides no one said either was easy.

Yes, Sebastian Loeb is a multiple WRC champion and pradctically unbeatable. If there is one type of motorsport where driver skills make all the difference it's the WRC.

I stand by my statement that any pro motocrosser can race a car, with some practice, to some decent level of proficiency

Anyone can

I have to agree here, besides how do successful motocross riders get started in the sport anyway? They aren't born with a helmet on you know!

Now I'm not saying that motocross isn't physically demanding, I think that it's incredibly tough on the body, but the body adapts and you become stronger and in better shape. Still though, how long is the usual motocross race? Most NASCAR races last at least a couple of hours, which is spent in a hot car with a firesuit on, it's not easy you know!

Let's not even get started on road racing, my example is the 24 hours of Le Mans, where each driver spends at LEAST 6 hours in the hot race car trying to drive every single lap perfect while dealing with the breaking Aston Martins littering the way, it is physically demanding AND mentally demanding as well, if you don't think that's rough then YOU try concentrating HARD on something for six hours.

ALL racing is tough, and ANY previous racing experience will help you in other forms of racing be it dirtbike, superbike, NASCAR, road racing, soap box derby, etc.

Anyway, I've beaten Gran Turismo IV on Playstation 2 so I would destroy ANY of you on a track.:lol:

Don't overlook Formula one with the high G loads cornering/braking....in fact braking G loads on driver is up there very high...

F1 Ace Races a Bike

Quoted from the June 2008 issue of American Motorcyclist Magazine, page 32, ISSN-0277-9358

Apparently, being fast on four wheels can directly translate to being fast on two wheels. Formula 1 ace Michael Schumacher recently finished fourth in his first-ever competitive motorcycle race, the 10 lap KTM Trophy Race in Misano. Said Schumacher: "I am just enjoying myself and having fun."

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4326983&fSectionId=759&fSetId=381

FWIW