Spindle flange - unbelievable

MYBAD79

I noticed that one of my spindle flanges is approximately 3mm (.120") shorter than the other (undamaged) one.

2149352423039b8.jpg

Now, when tightening the spindle castle nut the washer would sit against the collar on the spindle, leaving the flange loose.

This came of a slip fitted bearing assembly off a used trailing arm assembly and I did not have the pleasure to drive the car with this garbage.

I'm sure it made some weired noises back there :ill::clobbered:

Just weld it to the spindle, it will be perfect :D

Yup....that sounds funny all right, but how about welding the flange to the u-joint?
U-JointWeldonHSFlange001.jpg
[/IMG]
One would assume someone couldn't compress the bearing cups enough to get the retaining ring in the groove.
U-JointWeldonHSFlange002.jpg
[/IMG]
I bought these off CF classified and advertised in very good condition and with flanges. When I protested to the seller, he claimed to not know anything about the welded flanges. He was responsible enough to buy me a used replacement flange. The other side was OK and appeared to not be warped. I'm certain someone has welded their flange to the spindle.

Last edited:
Just weld it to the spindle, it will be perfect :D

Yup....that sounds funny all right, but how about welding the flange to the u-joint?

One would assume someone couldn't compress the bearing cups enough to get the retaining ring in the groove.

I bought these off CF classified and advertised in very good condition and with flanges. When I protested to the seller, he claimed to not know anything about the welded flanges. He was responsible enough to buy me a used replacement flange. The other side was OK and appeared to not be warped. I'm certain someone has welded their flange to the spindle.

Jeebus, from DB to this....you got the weirdest luck....

:twitch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeebus, from DB to this....you got the weirdest luck....

:twitch:

Mike, try shopping at Ebay or Amazon LOL

At least you got two flanges, check if they're worn like the one I have....

Your luck isn't much better than mine. It isn't a surprise they get worn that badly when you consider how little maintence is done by the average owner. I think they drove them until there was some kind of IRS failure that required being towed to a shop. The real Corvette experience begins after buying one of these worn cars. We are the lucky, or crazy ones who enjoy working on them.:ill:

The real Corvette experience begins after buying one of these worn cars. We are the lucky, or crazy ones who enjoy working on them.:ill:

Tomorrow I'll start a new thread and I'll post some pictures of what I bought this weekend :smash::eek::confused2::rain::sos::rofl::twitch:

The real Corvette experience begins after buying one of these worn cars. We are the lucky, or crazy ones who enjoy working on them.:ill:

Tomorrow I'll start a new thread and I'll post some pictures of what I bought this weekend :smash::eek::confused2::rain::sos::rofl::twitch:

:tomato::rofl:

Uh oh, a rival for Jed's Clamper???

:3rd:

Looks like some of that great American production, with the holes off center also.