mechanics vs. those who call themselves mechanics

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
i'm not trying to brag but i do know the right end of a screwdriver.
so this weekend a bunch of local vette owners got together for breakfast. i was sitting at this table and this guy was talking about how he had no place to work on his car. i told him i'd be happy to let him us my shop. so this guy who shall remain nameless comes over to do some clean-up work on his car. he pulls his wheels and does his work. he asks me if i have a torque wrench when he puts his wheels back on. so i give him my proto 250# torque wrench. after i show him how to set the torque, i watch him bounce on the wrench.
"dude, one click!"
"huh"
then i have to explain to him that after it clicks, the other 30* of rotation are just over torquing and ****ing up my wrench.
any time i hear somebody talking about torquing their wheels, it always makes me wonder if they know how to actually use a torque wrench.:rolleyes:

ANYbody who actually uses a torque wrench to torque lug nutz IS nutz...:suicide:

freeking mental :crutches:

seriously, in some 50 freeking years of hotrodding the ONLY time my wheels have EVER been torqued to 'spec' is with some guy in a tire shop.....

I tap them down to 5 taps each nut with the IR 1/2 drive impact on 125 psi....

NEVER had one even come close to coming off, not steel, not aluminum, not anything....I think it's a bunch of lawyers conjurring up lawsuits that causes all that overtorquing....and too boot I have oversize tires and drive quickly all my life.....

did a honest conservative calculation the other day.....I have about a million miles on my ass....which is nothing to a OTR driver in this country...but for a 'normal' guy, that's a LOT....figger 25-30k/year....X45 years....

glad I not driving a camel or something....

:stirpot:

gene, i slack on things from time to time too. but i do figure if you're going to pretend to do it, ya might as well pretend right.
me, i'm not a big stickler for torque patterns. inside out works, i don't really care about which bolt first.

gene, i slack on things from time to time too. but i do figure if you're going to pretend to do it, ya might as well pretend right.
me, i'm not a big stickler for torque patterns. inside out works, i don't really care about which bolt first.

I he4ar you clutch, but I do go by star pattern so everyone is happy seated, then go over for final tap in by star pattern....total time about 15 seconds, if that....

I"m a lazy bastard....and I too have a Sears clicker....used for main/heads that's about it...

Heheh, all I've ever had is the big chrome + style wheel brace. Run the nuts down by spinning the brace in your hands then once they're all down, pull them up tight with the brace. Never used a torque wrench or rattle gun and never had a wheel come off. The wankers who put my wheels on with a rattle gun cost me a sheared stud next time I tried to remove them!

Last edited:
Heheh, all I've ever had is the big chrome + style wheel brace. Run the nuts down by spinning the brace in your hands then once they're all down, pull them up tight with the brace. Never used a torque wrench or rattle gun and never had a wheel come off. The wankers who put my wheels on with a rattle gun cost me a sheared stud next time I tried to remove them!

Put a dap of wheel bearing grease outta the gun or can on each stud....been doing that for decades now....otherwise you got frozen on nutz....

and I HATE FROZEN NUTZ THIS IS WHY I MOVED TO FLORIDA 11 YEARS AGO!!!!!!:banghead::ill:

Put a dap of wheel bearing grease outta the gun or can on each stud....been doing that for decades now....otherwise you got frozen on nutz....

and I HATE FROZEN NUTZ THIS IS WHY I MOVED TO FLORIDA 11 YEARS AGO!!!!!!:banghead::ill:

Been doing that for 25+ years. Greasin'" my nuts.:suspicious:

Ditto - a dab of grease and a wheel brace has worked for me for 20 something years of owning cars...

HUMM....Wheel brace'......is that a X wrench?? 4 different size sockets one on each corner?? I have had one for decades now, keep it in the work truck been so long I hardly remember where now....:p

BINGO! :1st: prize to the man in the funny hat! Hehehe, owned compressors and all manner of pneumatic tools but never bought a rattle gun. A speed brace always does the job :thumbs:

Jeebus, some 25? years ago when buying my first compressor...I got a 1/2 and 3/8 and impact gun, and a 3/8 ratshit....

since then I have upgraded form CP to now it's Ingersoll on the 1/2 impact, and Snap on the 1/4" ratshit and 3/8 impact....such are the miracles of hock shops around here....cheeeeeep.....

I the lazy type I tossed the X lug wrench into the truck some 15 years ago...dunno I seen it since....:flash::shocking:

I thought proper torque was...........

Rat..tat.tat.tat.tat........tat................tat....................tat.............
...........................tat...................................................tat........
...............................................tat...............................tight. :wink:

:lol:

I thought proper torque was...........

Rat..tat.tat.tat.tat........tat................tat....................tat.............
...........................tat...................................................tat........
...............................................tat...............................tight. :wink:

:lol:

that's MY style too....oh BTW, your monicer under your name there, Knuckle Dragger....funny in that my old cabinet maker up in Maryland,...he used to call himself a knuckle dragger....arms hung down to his knees allmost...Tom Janizewski? sp?....he could make wood sing...big ass Bessemeyer table saw....6 hp motor...

that's MY style too....oh BTW, your monicer under your name there, Knuckle Dragger....funny in that my old cabinet maker up in Maryland,...he used to call himself a knuckle dragger....arms hung down to his knees allmost...Tom Janizewski? sp?....he could make wood sing...big ass Bessemeyer table saw....6 hp motor...

Check this site out........http://www.smydawoodworking.com/
this is my brother.......he's a master woodworker.