Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Chassis, Steering and Suspension

Old 12-21-2019, 11:55 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBShark View Post
Trying to determine where the bracket needs to be welded to the column. Can anyone tell me what the offset (from mounting flange to wheel) is for a typical Corvette steering wheel is in a C3?

Sorry, just noticed this thread. Do you still "need" the offset measurement? I've got a later C3 wheel on the car, but I still have the stock wheel on the shelf under a pile of dust.

Let me know if the information is still needed/usable.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:12 AM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (310)

I measured a stock 1970 car steering wheel depth at 2 3/4". However, I felt like the steering wheel was too close and I understand the steering wheel was moved away in later cars. So I put the seat in my car and loosely mounted the steering column and found an optimal comfortable position for the steering wheel.

However, I have the seat back as far as it will go and it feels like the pedals are too close. I'm thinking I could move them down about 1" but that's probably the limit. Reducing the travel might be a good thing. The clutch pedal has 7" of travel (from pedal to floor) and about 1 7/8" at the push rod. I am using a hydraulic cylinder that has a max travel of 1.4". So, loosing an inch of travel might be a good thing. The brake pedal should be pretty easy as it is limited by the switch which has plenty of adjustment.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
? about ignition lock cylinders......are they the same by chance??

I know/think the keys are different....but the lock cyl on my '72 is about worn the hell OUT, and I would like to update to a larger key head (black plastic) as it's easier to find/handle on my silly key fob setup....
Gene, Just got a replacement key made for the 96 column. It is different than an earlier key. But they have plastic heads that you can slip over the square key head.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:36 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (105)

Hey BBShark,

Is the 96 column an easy change? Something happened to my original colum which I heard metal break or fall, the tilt is not working now.

I had to collapse my original colum to hook up my Rack n pinion so I'll probably need to do the same on the 96 if I can swap it out.

Thoughts?

If you can change your thoughts,...
You can change your world...
Old 01-10-2020, 01:43 PM

Swapping to a late C4 column is more of a problem than bolting in a C3 column. Cutting off the brackets, finding a donor C3 mount plate and welding on, cutting off the mount plate on the firewall and making and welding a new one. I ended up using a 1990 steering wheel so I will have to make a filler piece to replace the airbag, However you don’t need to collapse the column because its already shorter than the C3, you can “fit” the position of the steering wheel to you and it seems to be a little more developed column than a C3. Also, I had this in hand.
I have a pretty complete 69 fixed (non tilt/tele) column if you want it. They are pretty easy to rebuild and should be a bolt-in.