i got an inspection sticker yesterday

The MO historic plates do limit your mileage as well as only being able to drive the car to shows, parades, the repair shop, as well as having to keep a log. I just looked into getting the year of manufacture plates on ours as I have a nice set. It wasn't worth the restrictions to me. I think it was only $25. tho. I didn't see anything about no inspection so that would be a plus.

The MO historic plates do limit your mileage as well as only being able to drive the car to shows, parades, the repair shop, as well as having to keep a log. I just looked into getting the year of manufacture plates on ours as I have a nice set. It wasn't worth the restrictions to me. I think it was only $25. tho. I didn't see anything about no inspection so that would be a plus.

I run with a group of guys that all have old muscle cars and all have either year of manufacture tags or historic tags. We've all had our tags for years and not one of us has ever been stopped or asked for our log info.

I actually talked to a cop about this one time and he said that most of them know so little about the law that they don't even know about the law.

As for the limitations as to where you can drive? I completely ignore it. I have historic tags and I drive about 8-10,000 miles a year anywhere I want! :)

As for the limitations as to where you can drive? I completely ignore it. I have historic tags and I drive about 8-10,000 miles a year anywhere I want! :)

That's what i figured i would do. But right now my car is exempt from emissions so all i need to do is keep good ball joints and tires on it, keep the wipers and lights working and i'm good to go.

It sucks that there are millions of illegal people in this country doing illegal things, like driving without any license and taking our jobs illegally, but the honest man has to worry and fret about getting an inspection sticker on his car.

If the nazis ever start their campaign to get old cars off the road. I will do whatever it takes to keep my car on the road. I'll just take a picture of sticker on a new car and print it out and slap it on mine.

I run with a group of guys that all have old muscle cars and all have either year of manufacture tags or historic tags. We've all had our tags for years and not one of us has ever been stopped or asked for our log info.

I actually talked to a cop about this one time and he said that most of them know so little about the law that they don't even know about the law.

I have year correct tags on my 78,and i have had no problems,not even in California when i was out there last summer,but i was prepared while out there i had my title and all the paper work just in case,but no prob's. And you do not need an inspection sticker here in Mo when running these tags

What are "year correct" tags?

In certain states you are allowed to register license plates of the year your car was manufactured. So, if you have a 70 Vette, you can buy 1970 tags for your state (on eBay for example), register them with the state license bureau, and be legal.

My main hesitation was the fact that I doubt many, if any Police are familiar with the laws for these plates. I've never seen any used around here. I could see getting pulled over for "expired" plates every time I passed the man. I could just be paranoid but didn't think it was worth the bother, especially with my son driving it quite a bit. We did put the '76 plates on when we were on the Lexington last year (or was it the year before). I think they look better then the new plates. I may have to quit being a puss and get them registered.

[ My main hesitation was the fact that I doubt many, if any Police are familiar with the laws for these plates. I've never seen any used around here. I could see getting pulled over for "expired" plates every time I passed the man.

That's something to consider. You may make yourself more of a target. You can show your documentation to prove you're legal but, then the cop will have to find something else wrong with your car to save face.

If you have 'Year of Manufacture Plates' on your vehicle I urge you to posess as much documentation of the legality of running those. Luster is quite correct when he says that the police aren't aware of every little law. Some years ago I was stopped on my way to a Street rod club Christmas toy run with my '38 Chev Coupe Hotrod with it's 'Year of Manufacture Plates" on it. A Sunday morning. I had extra documentation, I was polite - not a kid, I thought he was going to tow my car! I was truly shittin'. There would have been a battle. The cop was not a nice guy. He accused me of falsifieing the docs, Called his sergent who also had never heard of such a thing. As it was a Sunday there was no-one else they could ask not that they tried too hard. After making me sweat a lot he gave me a ticket.
I took the ticket to court, before the trial the prosecuter again accused me of falsifing the docs and chose to proceed. I was well prepard with even MORE docs, some I had to pay for. After sitting there all day my name came up. Before I knew what was happening the Judge had thrown it out due to being written up incorrectly, and he was gone - last case of the day. I was calling after him to come back - I needed it settled so if that cop came after me again. No luck. I then went to the cop and prosecutor in the court room to talk reason to them - they would have nothing to do with me - they were even ruder because they had my case thrown, I guess that's a bad thing. So the next few years when ever I drove the car [which was a lot] I would again shit if I saw a cop expecting that guy to get me. I will also say that I actually quit driving the car as much after that, wierd, it was a real cool car [BB,4spd] but for some reason the fun was gone...... maybe it was time to sell it which I did after it sat for a few years....... But I'm rambling............

There is always some exceptions to everything i guess,and depending on where you are at or live,it is pretty common to see year correct tag's in this state,and just in case i carry my registration papers with me and if i am going to be out of state i carry my title also. I have never had a problem and do not expect any,but just in case i have my paper work.

I was lucky on my year correct tags,my car was built in August of 78 and my tag's are August 78 :D

I've got year of manufacture plates on Ol' Red too. If I get stopped I'll pull out the copy of the Missouri Law that I drag around for just that occasion. I've got a couple of things that I can do that for.

I did get asked once about seatbelts in the '24 T - I got a heck of a good laugh from that one.

And I play with the LEO's a bit too- I renew the tags on my pickup every year and haven't installed the new sticker since '04. I have all the stickers in the truck, but it's cold in January and they won't stick very well. By the time it's warm, I forgot to put it on.

To ME, it's not worth the hassle, just stick the damn antique, or whatever current plate on the car you want, Florida has a couple of classes, and drive the damn thing.....over the years I have learned to keep my cars looking stock as a stove, and not too showy.....showy cars bring trouble, vandalism, wrecks, and tooooo much attention from the cops....Shark vettes are common as green grass around here in Florida....any vette really....

Kinda like one of the tricks about my old Lemans/GTO tow car....an old Pontiac 455 looks just like a 350 Pontiac engine....gotta know the numbers to tell....how many even 'inspection' stations have anyone who can decipher that??

Hell, I even had a COW come out and take out the entire left side of my car once, then a damn small Florida deer at night jumps out of front of some minivan right into my headlights on the '72 here......busted hell out of both of them,.....then when I finally fix it decently, a Verizon truck back into the bumper and busts hell out of it yet again.....can't win....

So carrying any extra paperwork over a mear TAG to me is a time waster, got other automotive fish to fry....

:crutches: