Need suggestions on tires

bhays

I have the wheels picked out for my '82 and am ready to order, but I am running up against tire issues.

I plan on going with 18x10 in front and 20x12 in rear (Stan's flares). Going with Pro Wheels Scorpion w/ black center (car will be black)

Pro_Wheels_Scorpion_500x.jpg

However, I am having troubles finding tires for that combination. Stock diameter is 25.6 and I want to go about an inch or so larger to fill out the wheel wells once lowered) I found the Nitto Invo for the rear in 345/25/20 (26.6 diameter) but there doesn't seem to be an 18" for the front with anywhere near the same total diameter or profile. There is a 285/30/19 (25.8 diameter) that will work, but I really wanted to go with 18's up front rather than 19's. Any suggestions? I can get the Nitto combination for around $1500 and sort of want to stay around that budget.)

IMO, IF you going to drive this much on the street as more of a DD instead of show car.....I would stick with 18" wheels at max....I think the ride with your butt on top of that tire is going to be like you can't run over a thread without feeling the sting....I have 17's on mine and some times wish I had stock rims, the roads around here are little better than a ditch...

:crutches:

However, I am having troubles finding tires for that combination. Stock diameter is 25.6 and I want to go about an inch or so larger to fill out the wheel wells once lowered)

Is this stock for an 82 (25.6 dia)? The early C3's had like ~27"dia tires from the factory.

However, I am having troubles finding tires for that combination. Stock diameter is 25.6 and I want to go about an inch or so larger to fill out the wheel wells once lowered)

Is this stock for an 82 (25.6 dia)? The early C3's had like ~27"dia tires from the factory.

I had read somewhere that the stock size on the 82 was 225/60/15 which would have been 25.6. I did some readying and it looks like I am safe up to a 28" diameter.. This ought to open up some other options.

Although, very few manufacturers make anything in a 335 or wider in a 20"... Hancooks are out ;)

The tire used in 68 was an F70-15 which is 26.9" dia. Not sure when they went to the 255 but it sure explains why the wheel arches look too big!

Wow those spokes are thin, they'll shear right off with sticky tires.

That's kind of an interesting comment. I really like the look of the Scorpions, but presumably there is a limit on how little metal is needed to link the hub to the rim. Is there a rating of some kind for this? This would be a fairly spectacular failure.

Wow those spokes are thin, they'll shear right off with sticky tires.

That's kind of an interesting comment. I really like the look of the Scorpions, but presumably there is a limit on how little metal is needed to link the hub to the rim. Is there a rating of some kind for this? This would be a fairly spectacular failure.

I guess we'll find out <grin>

I would THINK there is some DOT standard that wheel makers have to test for/to when selling to the public.....

maybe want to check into it a bit....go to maker's and DOT sites,and find out the law/compliance....I ASSUME any import wheels would have to meet the same standards.....I don't think much of the fed.gov, as most know, but I would ASSUME some minor level of competence.....:(:hissyfit::flash:

Ok, armed with new information on factory diameters from:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/MoreBite.pdf

I now know that at least some years, factory tire was a 225/70/15 with a 27.4" diameter all around. I would like to be closer to that diameter, but the rear tire for the 20x12 seems to have really limited choices.

Here is my other option - Michelin PS2
Front - 19x10 - 285/35/R19 26.9 diameter
Rear - 20x12 - 335/30/R20 28 diameter

I am not really sure I understand how to read sidewall height and it's not listed in the specs. Would this combination look ok in terms of sidewall height and the front not being a wider sidewall than the rear?

225-70-15 and 255-60-15 are both advertized around 27" but IMO you're better off measuring the actual diameter with a tape measure.... it varies between tire brands as well....

I would THINK there is some DOT standard that wheel makers have to test for/to when selling to the public.....

maybe want to check into it a bit....go to maker's and DOT sites,and find out the law/compliance....I ASSUME any import wheels would have to meet the same standards.....I don't think much of the fed.gov, as most know, but I would ASSUME some minor level of competence.....:(:hissyfit::flash:

There is an SAE testing standard for production car wheels but (good or bad), the aftermarket gets a free pass.

http://www.performanceplustire.com/tech.info/3

Most name brand rims come with a certificate, this certificate is required in most European countries. Per the website above (link):

# 1 There are no government standards or regulations that require a wheel manufacturer or importer to meet in order to sell a wheel in the US. There are several marking and dimensional requirements that are required by the DOT (Dept. Of Transportation), but no performance or testing requirements.
# 2 The standards for performance and testing are voluntary on the part of the manufacturer or importer. There are several specifications that are considered recommended practice, available from such organizations as SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), TUV (the German regulatory agency), ISO (International Standards Organization), and JWL (Japan Light Alloy Wheel Testing Council Rules). The SAE J2530 Aftermarket Wheel Performance Requirements and Test Procedures is a new standard developed for the aftermarket wheel industry to assure that the wheels produced for use on passenger cars and light trucks are safe and reliable.

Bottom line (my opinion): stay away from rims that have not been tested - the SAE, TUV (abe#) or ISO # is normally stamped on the inside of the rim and the rim should come with a certificate that states what was tested and what the max load limits are... check the manufacturer's website....

Bottom line (my opinion): stay away from rims that have not been tested - the SAE, TUV (abe#) or ISO # is normally stamped on the inside of the rim and the rim should come with a certificate that states what was tested and what the max load limits are... check the manufacturer's website....

With that being said though, how many have ever seen wheels fail? I think i remember one or two factory wheels on the roadracing section on CF.

With that being said though, how many have ever seen wheels fail? I think i remember one or two factory wheels on the roadracing section on CF.

I remember reading on Motorgen where a guy at Spring Mountain snapped his stock ZO6 rims right off the spokes in a hard turn.

I'm with TT. These new style skinny spokes scare me.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening outside a racing/autocross situation? These wheels will never see that sort of action or over 400hp most likely on my car.

A pothole at 70mph can be just as destructive. I think that every rim manufacturer who stands behind his products is going to have them tested and they will provide some sort of certification. contact the manufacturer and see if they had these rims tested, maybe they did and maybe they passed all the tests, I'm just saying if they give you crap about it and if they can't or don't want to provide a test cert then walk away..