Who decided on the tire sizing formula?

VegasJen

Formerly Known as Clutchdust
It just seems such an odd mix, like a compromise between US and European manufacturers. Width in millimeters and diameter in inches. Aspect ratio I get.
Are tires measured differently overseas?

Got me man, I been thinking of that confusion once in a while for long time....

curious as to know...

Probably the same moron that decided the USA should convert to the metric system. All he did was f***up something that had been working fine for 100 years.

:hunter:

Tim, I can't exactly agree with you on that on. The problem is the half-ass, "we're going to do it... or maybe not" thing they did. Half my car is SAE, the other is metric. Just pick one and stick to it.
Frankly, while our system works just fine, it's unnecessarily complicated. I heard a woman in Walmart the other night explaining to her son how measurements work. Child about six or seven. She's telling him there are 12 inches in a foot and three feet in a yard, etc. The kid had a look on his face like, "seriously, this is the best we could do?"
I'm all for us doing our own thing when it is better. But just doing it to be obstinate is kind of spiteful.

Probably the same moron that decided the USA should convert to the metric system. All he did was f***up something that had been working fine for 100 years.

The US officially went on the metric system...in 1893. The official "standard" weights and measures have been defined by relation to metric units ever since. Congress first authorized the US to move to the metric system in 1866, and solidified that position in 1875.

Could of fooled me.

The US officially went on the metric system...in 1893. The official "standard" weights and measures have been defined by relation to metric units ever since. Congress first authorized the US to move to the metric system in 1866, and solidified that position in 1875.

OK, so lets assume you are correct, I guess no one in the auto industry cared enough to go metric, wonder why??? and then what about Railroads and Aircraft industries???'

Construction fasteners are all still the old 'English' system.....:amazed:

Metric or "standard" .... I don't care ..... I have wrenches, taps/dies , drills in both .... Just don't mix it like the tire sizes , that's just silly ..... Now here's a good one: working on buddy's truck (1980 Ram) ... Upper ball joint has a 24mm nut, lower has a 1" .... Wtf ???? The new joints we just bought today are the same mixed size .....