Bedding in brake pads

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Bedding-in Street Performance Pads
by Matt Weiss of StopTech and James Walker, Jr. of scR motorsports

For a typical performance brake system using street-performance pads, a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set. Each of the ten partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80 to 90% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.

I just changed the pads on my car. Ceramics were on it and they squeak pretty bad. I installed new ceramics and want to bed them in using the StopTech proceedure outlined above.

My question is this, where in the hell am I going to go to do 10 braking events (one after the other) from 60mph to 10mph @ 80-90% of lockup? I'm not sure if I will get a ticket for unsafe operation or wreckless driving :confused2:

Seriously, do you guys do this?

the instructions that come with my pads tell me to make 30 stops...10 at a time at 3 different speeds...the last time I bed in pads in I got black flagged on a Friday for going too slow and won the race on Sunday.

Or you buy pre bedded pads instead of green pads. Wilwood offers a bedding surface.

I do it. Just go find a deserted back road and get it done. I have only had a cop both me a couple times while test driving a car and he cut me lose after I explained to him what I was doing. I just don't do stuff like this on a busy street.

I could probably do it at work. We have 1000ft access road that should work and I know the cops. But, I have to get there and it's about 7 miles away.

If I drive there and am pretty easy on the brakes, can I successfully bed them in?

Here is the burnishing procedure for the hawk performance ceramic pads.

Burnishing Instructions

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

I don't even remember how many times I installed new pads on my cars (or friend's cars)... I always took it for a roughly 10 mile trip and applied the brakes often to get the temperature up, never "slammed" on the brakes during the first 10-20 miles, just applied the brakes often - worked fine for me for the past 20 years, never had trouble with my brakes, at least not pad bedding related....