A/C support strut

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Could someone post a pic please of how the support strut for the A/C compressor bolts to the compressor backet and to the engine. I've tried to position mine every way I can think of and I can't get it to line up with anything. :confused2:

Thanks in advance...

This is the strut I'm talking about:

IMGP1712.jpg

I don't actually remember pulling the damn thing off, let alone how it's supposed to go back on.

From trawling around and looking at other engine bays, it looks as though it should go from the A/C bracket to one of the inlet manifold bolts. But... I'm buggered if I can get it to fit like that. it doesn't line up with any of the bolts on the water pump either.

Any clues...? :confused2:

I don't know if this helps but this is a scan from the Corvette Parts and Illustration catalog. The brace in it looks different.

Attachments

• 82ac.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 4
82engine.jpg

There it is, running from bottom of compressor to what appears to be one of the front motor mount bolts. Forgot how mine was mounted, it was the 2nd thing I pulled off the car

Wayne, it is my recollection there are some braces going from the exhaust mani bolts to the outermost reasonable point on the compressors, to limit the axial? vibration...back and forth front/back ways....

I know there WAS one on several accessories....including the alternators on various generations.....

CRS again, but the exacts elude me....

:suicide:

Got that bastard jigsaw puzzle sorted out today. You were close TT - that strut goes from the bottom of the AC compressor to the bottom front of the block, right near the fuel pump.

Hehehe, just got it all bolted up, thinking I'm somewhat of a mechanical genius when my son said "what about that big white bottle that goes in that space (pointing to inner fender where the rad overflow bottle goes) will you be able to get it in now that you've bolted the compressor in".

I tried for about 10 minutes and the answer is NO! :suicide:

Got that bastard jigsaw puzzle sorted out today. You were close TT - that strut goes from the bottom of the AC compressor to the bottom front of the block, right near the fuel pump.

Hehehe, just got it all bolted up, thinking I'm somewhat of a mechanical genius when my son said "what about that big white bottle that goes in that space (pointing to inner fender where the rad overflow bottle goes) will you be able to get it in now that you've bolted the compressor in".

I tried for about 10 minutes and the answer is NO! :suicide:

Kids say the darndest things!

that front of the block near the fuel pump, those are the "old" front motor mounts ;) :D

You CAN install the overflow tank with the rest in place. I saw my brother do exactly that 2 weeks ago (on an 82) he got it in without breaking or removing stuff.

that front of the block near the fuel pump, those are the "old" front motor mounts ;) :D
Well there you go, I never knew that. You learn something new every day. It must be years since the engines were mounted there?

You CAN install the overflow tank with the rest in place. I saw my brother do exactly that 2 weeks ago (on an 82) he got it in without breaking or removing stuff.
I gave up after 10 minutes as my wife had obliged me with my request for some more photo's but I'll give it a try again tomorrow. I'll be more persistant now, knowing that it can be done :thumbs:

Well there you go, I never knew that. You learn something new every day. It must be years since the engines were mounted there?

If I recall, the 55,56,57 used those front mounts. Hell, even if they didn't, those front mounts will let you drop a SBC into anything that had a flathead Ford in it like it was made to go in there.

Funny thing- a Flathead Ford and a SBC are darn near the same dimensions. do you suppose Duntov had anything to do wth that??:D

...You CAN install the overflow tank with the rest in place...

Nah, had to remove the damn thing to get the overflow bottle in. I just undid the bracket retaining bolts and lifted it out of the way while I slide the bottle in. I messed around for a while but I couldn't get it in without removing the AC - maybe because I have taller than stock valve covers? Anyway, it's in now and it was only a few minutes work to remove the compressor...