Removing spindles - how to ??

MYBAD79

I guess if you support the carrier correctly you could beat it out with a sledge... this would sacrifice the spindle of course and won't work if you plan on re-using the spindle...

How do you support the assembly to press the spindle out ? It's not easy with the calipper bracket and dust shield in the way.... any photos of the setup ??

I'll go and buy me one of these HarborFreight presses but it looks like I'll have to fab up some sort of support fixture to hold the carrier/assembly :smash:

use a spindle knocker. Its a big hunk of metal that screws on the end of the spindle.

I'm surprised you didn't know about that tool.

Well..... I knew about that tool and I already hit the spindle a few times with my 5lbs minisledge.... I'm afraid without proper support I'll end up damaging/breaking parts....

OK, got the spindle out.... a few good whacks and it moved.... this spindle is going to be modified to be a setup tool so I wasn't too worried about it.... the next spindle I'd like to safe so I'll use the press.

Still not sure how to support the assembly on the press....

You need to make a fixture for it. A beefy plate that you can bolt the bearing carrier to just like it bolts to the trailing arm and then you can press the spindle out easily.

If you still need to buy the press, get at least a 30ton one. Don't press on the threads, either use the spindle knocker or a thick walled pipe that fits snugly over the threads and presses against the flat ended face of the splined section (where the threads start)

Well, I got the small harbor freight press - cheap and good enough for this job :D

Anyway, on the setup: below is a photo of the setup to press the spindle into the bearings (pressing the trailing arm 'down'). I used an old spindle flange and a socket so that the force is applied to the bearing carrier, the spindle is supported with the two 1" plates you see under the spindle.

21493b19cacaee0.jpg

Now, pressing the spindle out is more difficult because the trailing arm needs to be supported. Maybe a 6" diameter pipe could be used to support the assembly but then the dust shield will be crushed...
here's what the other side looks like:

21493b19cc2010e.jpg

I got both spindles out using my sledge hammer, luckily the impact was sufficient to get it moving.

I had my new spindles turned down, the bearings wont slide on and off,just a little tapping with a rubber hammer. much easier this way.

There's a tool, it's a large thick triangular plate that attaches to the spindle and brake caliper support bracket. It has a threaded bolt in the center that you screw down and it presses the spindle out. I used one to remove the half axles on my 68. Worked OK. But I later learned that if you have to use too much force to press out the half axles, you'll bend the caliper support bracket so that it is useless. I think I may have bent mine a little bit, but I was able to use a small amount of shims to mount the brake caliber. Yes, the press is the safest method.

I haven't used a press on a rear spindle in several years now. All I use is the spindle knocker, hold the arm at a 45* angle, and use a 5 lb hammer. 5-6 shots will drive them out and not damage anything in the process. The press is great to final install them.

We used to it the same way as GTR1999 until my builder got a piece of steel in his hand that was 8 mm long. It was a piece that came off the knocker when the sledge hit it. Now I only use a press to remove them.

That sounds pretty nasty. I have to admit I've never seen that with the knocker I have here, I don't even recall where I got it years ago. The press will work no question but I think there's less chance of a problem with the hammer. Some use a large slide hammer to pull out the spindle too. To each his own as long as it's safe and doesn't break anything.