'88 serp drive, sheared bolt, belt rides funny.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
And slipped off this morning, went clunk, thought something fell off the car, went to back out, and no brakes or steering......

seems some time ago a ~3" bolt 3/8 diameter went through the a/c pump mount, kind of a loan wolf, just under the compressor, and bolted the a/c mount to the cyl head....an L98 head....so the bolt sheered off, leaving much in the head.....I decided to make a vibration mount from the top rear compressor mount to a header bolt.....seems I remember something about that on my '87 vette with the R4 comp, but this is an '88-91 setup with the import compressor....so the question is......why is the serp belt riding on the forward edge of the tension pulley?? anyone with any knowledge as to WTF is the failure mode here????

:crutches:

Just do what I do, being me--Take all that A/C crap off altogether and throw it away. It weighs 40 pounds, takes up too much room, makes things complicated and robs power. If you want air conditioning, music and a nice ride, get a Buick. :hunter: :evil:

Just do what I do, being me--Take all that A/C crap off altogether and throw it away. It weighs 40 pounds, takes up too much room, makes things complicated and robs power. If you want air conditioning, music and a nice ride, get a Buick. :hunter: :evil:

This is FL. the F temps=100, the %H=100 also....no go....

:rofl:

645 am, first reply today......spent ~2.5 hrs fixing it this AM with a fan blowing on me to keep me from passing out.....have to redo the bracket I made, pulled the entire bracket from the engine/compressor, and cut the slot in the end of the broken bolt, and managed to get lucky and back it out with a screwdriver, get it all back together, royal PIA.....but at least the belt don't slip off, riding much better......so to redo the bracket soon enough.....damnit......

Last edited: