is it possible to fill seams between urethane bumpers and smc body?

bhays

I would like to mold the front and rear bumpers in on my 1982 project car. The new bumpers I purchased years ago are oem GM urethane that I paid about $500 each for from Ecklers. I chose them because of the flexibility, etc. I am wanting to add in script on the rear and the filler plate on the front from a C5 so that would be a lot easier with the urethane parts.

Can I fill the seam with these or will I have to get fiberglass bumpers? What materials would I use?

if you want it to last a while and not crack at the seam then sell the urethane bumpers and get fiberglass bumpers.....

I am a huge fan of this 3M 8116 adhesive, dual cartridge is $38 but it will get both bumpers glued on the body.

here's the "how to" part:

remove old bumpers and clean mating surfce on body, hit it with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper for some extra "bite"
test fit the new fiberglass bumpers, hit the mating surface with rough sandpaper also.....
bolt in place but leave all bolts loose, use some spacers to create a gap between body and bumper, I like pain mixing sticks from HomeDepot, they're free :)
the adhesive sets within 20 minutes, depending on temperature, I wouldn't want to put the glue on both surfaces and then have trouble getting the bumper on there... so I would rather inject it in the gap, personal preference

remove paintsticks, tighten bolts.... clean up glue that ooozed out.....

makevsure you put fiberglass body filler over the glue, grind it down below the surface and add filler. do not paint over the glue, it won't work.....

now sand and prep for paint :D