Strip Tease

fiberglass resin and mat is a lot cheaper than 3M glue. Look at the other photos Mybad79 posted, also there's a bunch of good photos in Stinger's thread. Grind about 1" to each side of the seam and let the resin flow into the gap between bumper and body. I'm glad it's not too late and you can easily fix it :thumbs:

I have some 8116 that Karsten gave me. I'd like to use it if it is the right stuff for the job. Could I glue the seams with the 8116 and then fill with body filler?

Don't use the wrong product..... I gave you 3M urethane filler, not 8116 (if I gave away 8116 you cought me in a very weak moment) :lol:

The filler (if I remember correctly) is good for skimming urethane bumpers, like the original Corvette bumper on a '73+ ... it's not an adhesive for structural repairs like the 8115 or 8116

Bondo "kitty hair" is fine for the transition between bumper and body, even without glueing the two together. Just not body filler alone, that will crack....

If you grind 1" to each ide of the seam and then fill it with kitty hair or resin/mat you'll be fine ....

fiberglass resin and mat is a lot cheaper than 3M glue. Look at the other photos Mybad79 posted, also there's a bunch of good photos in Stinger's thread. Grind about 1" to each side of the seam and let the resin flow into the gap between bumper and body. I'm glad it's not too late and you can easily fix it :thumbs:

I have some 8116 that Karsten gave me. I'd like to use it if it is the right stuff for the job. Could I glue the seams with the 8116 and then fill with body filler?

Don't use the wrong product..... I gave you 3M urethane filler, not 8116 (if I gave away 8116 you cought me in a very weak moment) :lol:

The filler (if I remember correctly) is good for skimming urethane bumpers, like the original Corvette bumper on a '73+ ... it's not an adhesive for structural repairs like the 8115 or 8116

Bondo "kitty hair" is fine for the transition between bumper and body, even without glueing the two together. Just not body filler alone, that will crack....

If you grind 1" to each ide of the seam and then fill it with kitty hair or resin/mat you'll be fine ....

Thanks for straightening me out (my memory is not always so good). I'll go back over it with fiberglass and resin, then fill as needed.

Thanks for straightening me out (my memory is not always so good). I'll go back over it with fiberglass and resin, then fill as needed.

Can you get the bolts that hold the bumper to the body to move or are they all rusted in place ?? If you can separate the bumper a little, let's say 1/16" you could let the resin run in between the parts and then tighten the bolts - gotta be quick though....

Can you get the bolts that hold the bumper to the body to move or are they all rusted in place ?? If you can separate the bumper a little, let's say 1/16" you could let the resin run in between the parts and then tighten the bolts - gotta be quick though....

It's got a new bumper and new mounting hardware, shouldn't be too hard.

update

I went back over the bumper seams, ground off the filler, glassed over the seams and re-filled them. I also did some more work on the passenger door, the fit between the door and the fender were terrible. A little body filler and sanding here and there and the gaps are becoming more presentable. If you look closely at the area where the mirror would be on the door and then at the front fender at the windshield you can see the green/black line where the door used to end and where I had to fill it to get it closer to the fender.

100_1303.jpg

100_1302.jpg

100_1299.jpg]

100_1296.jpg

100_1292.jpg

100_1291.jpg

100_1290.jpg

Almost time for primer....

Nice Job. :thumbs:
Soon that will be my turn to do bodywork, I hope I do as good as you.

Back in the saddle again...

Personal problems have prevented me from doing much work on the 'Vette these last two years but I finally got it in my head that life must go on and that the 'Vette is worth a lot more if I get it painted than if I don't. Plus I want to DRIVE IT!!!
The inspection sticker expired about 2 years ago so I had to partially reassemble the car so I could get it inspected. Today it is at the local shop for an inspection. Next week I will drive the car to Precision Automotive Restorations in Havertown Pa. so I can get an estimate to finish the body work and get the car painted. I just do not have the time, tools or skills to attempt doing it myself. Hopefully I will be posting some more progress pics soon...:cool:

I just got back from the shop. Emissions are way out of whack, a couple of plugs are fouled out. All sorts of troubles from the car sitting for so long. :hissyfit: