not weird brake thing

Sorry to hear that Mike, I have vette problems also, and money is tight as hell, and lots of events coming up that I can't attend, like my kid's weddings....

oh well.....

:crap::beer:

a rebuilt caliper is only around $60 and they don't check the cores anyway..... and a broken bleader does not mean it's not rebuildable, they will get it out....it's just that if ou go to a shop to have it machined out you pay as much you would for a rebuilt caliper

maybe somebody here has an old caliper laying around ???

Now doing the fronts . . .

. . . after a year has passed. I forgot to take some pics from when I finished up the rears, but I did the same thing for the fronts. Here's what they look like now (with the before for contrast):

thum_572511de53da70cc.jpg

thum_572531e581b2fd88.jpg

thum_572511de53b40476.jpg

thum_572531e581c2ce98.jpg

Check out the bolts holding on one of the calipers (with new hardware for comparison):

thum_572531e59b4ca1cf.jpg

I used the o-ring conversion from Classic Corvette Parts. For the back caliper that I jacked up, I got a new one from NAPA. I stuck with the POR-15. While I was at it, I got new soft lines. The picture didn't turn out, but the old fluid that came out was charcoal-colored. So, I drained the fluid. After I get it all put back together, I get to bench bleed the master cylinder! (which, whenever I think about, this image always comes to mind)

thum_572531e5c974c43a.jpg

Mike

Aargh!

Well, it's taken me awhile, but everything's back together (front calipers rebuilt with O-ring conversion, new soft lines at all 4 corners, master cylinder back on).

After bench bleeding the master cylinder, and both gravity and "2 person" bleeding the system, I have a soft pedal.

I'm thinking I may have jacked up the MC when bleeding it, as I didn't read to not push the piston in all the way until after I did it. Napa is just around the corner, and has a new MC in stock for $41. I hate to throw parts at problems, but at this point I think I'll do it as there was some gunk in the bottom of the reservoir, and the fluid I took out was charcoal colored.

Mike

I picked up a new master cylinder at Napa for $42:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...e-Master-Cylinder-New/_/R-NMAM1974_0332904492

Unlike the photo, the one in the box has bleeders, which will help with bench bleeding, but makes me wonder if it's O.K. for my car. :suspicious:

Also, it has a thick "syrup" in spots, including a small pool inside one of the reservoir chambers. I'm wondering if there's some inside the piston bore too. Guess I'll have to rinse it out with some brake fluid before bleeding.

Mike

Yes!

After much delay, I finally finished this small project! I was having trouble bleeding everything, and got the dreaded "soft pedal". Several attempts and methods (gravity, two-man, vacuum) were employed, along with a quart of fluid, yet I just couldn't get the air out. Last year I had picked up a bug spray bottle from Harbor Freight to make a DIY pressure bleeder. That effort stalled when I couldn't get my homemade plate to seal to the MC. Since I have a new MC, I used the gasket from the old cover, and this time things worked. After running another quart of fluid through, no more soft pedal :trumpet:

Only thing (slightly) dampening my enjoyment was discovering during my test drive that several gauges (tach, gas, temp, and oil) are not working (tach, gas, and temp stayed stuck at last positions, and oil is pegged high). IIRC, this indicates issues with grounds. Guess I'll have to put more effort into my fusebox upgrade project -- but I'll drive the car for awhile while I'm working out the new wiring :)

Mike