i stink!

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
tuned up the vette today and have it running pretty nice, drove it about 10-15 miles. thing is when i got home i reeked of gas. what the hell can i do to cut down on that smell when i drive the car? any suggestions?
i just have a holley with a moroso air cleaner now. am i going to need to put on some kind of charcoal canister/vapor recovery deal? anybody have any links?

Are you saying that you have gas vapor in the interior of your car?

Hey, last months Hot Rod had some article about street car challenge at spring mountain. Some camero won it. They have sign ups for one in 2-3 months.

I'm considering coming down and doing some laps and see if i'm near the top times

hey george!
let me know if you make it down here again.
yes, i think it's probably just fuel vaporizing at idle or when the car shuts down but it is pretty pervasive.

I have had raw fuel problems with my '72 with a fresh tank by p/owner installed in it.....at first traced to some bad hoses in the recovery system, then later on to the return supply, then some years later to a strange fitting on top of the tank, next to the filler cap assy....I just stuck some good epoxy over top of it, and that cured the last of any raw gas smells.....

I had the gas smell problem when I first bought my '73 (350 SB with Holly 650 DP) last March. Previous owner thought he had a fuel starvation problem (which later turned out to be an ignition problem) and he replaced the fuel pump with one that was putting out too much pressure for the carb. It was putting out over 12 lbs and I was having a devil of time keeping the floats set. Fuel would get dumped out the vent into the intake after parking the car. I replaced the fuel pump but continued to have the problems until I replaced both the primary and secondary floats. That improve the situation immensely and the rest of the smell was eliminated when I had the car dyno tuned which included having the carb re-jetted.

Now all I need to do is figure out which EFI unit I want to go with a planned OD tranny. 12 MPG after dyno tune is no bueno por caca but it sure does run good!

DC

In a LOT of ways, I wish I kept my OEM L48 and the old OEM TPI I put on it 15 years ago....and just put in a o/drive 200 4r.....been some 6 grand richer today for the lack of the efforts put in so far....

:crutches: