Who has actually installed C5 brakes on their C3?

bhays

I am mulling over brake options on my '82 project. I am going with 18's and 20's and the brakes will be very visible. I really like the look of the C5 calipers and I am looking at the Vette Brakes C5 conversion kit..

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=1106

Their web site gives almost no details, though. Does this use standard 12" C5 rotors?

I guess my question is; what options do I have for using C5 calipers and 13" or bigger rotors on my C3? I searched on all of the forums and can't seem to find any real answers.

Why would you want to? That whole VB&P install is junk. First it throws off the brake bias and worst of all, the way the brackets and little spacers for the calipers work, they move the steering arms inboard, throwing off the ackerman angle. It's the cheapest way out that way without having to fabricate intricate milled brackets. My advice, don't do it, get a wilwood setup instead.

Why would you want to? That whole VB&P install is junk. First it throws off the brake bias and worst of all, the way the brackets and little spacers for the calipers work, they move the steering arms inboard, throwing off the ackerman angle. It's the cheapest way out that way without having to fabricate intricate milled brackets. My advice, don't do it, get a wilwood setup instead.

I don't like the kit either and thought the same about the brake bias. I don't follow you on moving the steering arm inboard. I though that stayed the same. Can you please explain? Is it b/c of the thickness of the caliper bracket?

Pretty crappy deal huh? LOL over on CF no one noticed I asked about it...never got an anwer.

i bought c5 brakes off a guy a couple years ago, i was going to attempt it myself, but like TT said, there's so much fabrication involved for so little return. if you really want a big brake set up, i think you're far better off getting a set of wilwoods (or similar) and making it from there.
now, the really trick set up would be a c6z brake kit!:idea:

In my last issue of I think Vette magazine, there was a big article on brakes. There's a company selling C6Z front calipers, special rotors, brkts. and SS braided hoses for a bolt on application. The downside is--- it's $2000.00!!!

2000 for the carbon rotors/brembos? Impossible. It's probably the C6 Z06 caliper, it's a PBR one made in China and it has 6 pads per caliper...and it's junk. Speed Direct was selling it. Better off getting some proper wilwoods or even some nice brembos or APs.

TT, please clarify. are you saying the Z06 calipers are made in china? the PBR ones are made in china? i'll probably go with wilwoods anyway when i do my big brakes, but cash is always a factor.

Not carbon fiber. You must be thinking of the ones for the ZR1. My bad, should have been clearer. They are the stock C6Z06 calipers with 6 pads and special rotors with the correct offset to compensate for the adaptor brkts. to mount to a C3. Still not worth $2000 in my opinion!

I figured C6Z was the ZR1, my bad! The Z06 calipers are made in China, yes. PBR has a Chinese factory.

Man, what a major disappointment. Of course, what else should we expect? Dot gov owns GM, China ownes dot gov, ergo more and more shit from China. :hissyfit:
I wonder what their unemployment rate is?

Man, what a major disappointment. Of course, what else should we expect? Dot gov owns GM, China ownes dot gov, ergo more and more shit from China. :hissyfit:

Hell of a lot less than our REAL rate, that's for sure, not many allowed to set on their asses over there, watching TV all damn day....

I am convinced our/Mexicos' drug war problems would be cut by 90% with the elimination of welfare checks in this country....what that support does is enable drug use/abuse/sales/distribution/gangs/etc....if they had to get UP in the morning and push 40/week like the rest of us do/did/done they simply have no time for that shit...

:beer:

Hell of a lot less than our REAL rate, that's for sure, not many allowed to set on their asses over there, watching TV all damn day....

I am convinced our/Mexicos' drug war problems would be cut by 90% with the elimination of welfare checks in this country....what that support does is enable drug use/abuse/sales/distribution/gangs/etc....if they had to get UP in the morning and push 40/week like the rest of us do/did/done they simply have no time for that shit...

:beer:

China officially reports around a 4% urban unemployment rate. But you need to be wary of how they count it. I've read varying articles which indicate a real unemployment rate between 15 and 20%.