Rollcage

Yellow73SB

I'm probably going to be putting one in soon. It seems like a PITA

I just have the rear hoop and supports right now.

I want to do the door bars like this

65-5.jpg

I'll post more after I get my hair cut

Theres not many bars coming out though

65-7.jpg

Heres some of the cheater cars cages

DSC05551.jpg

DSC05554.jpg

DSC05549.jpg

Heres some more cage pics including one in a coupe

Attachments

• a4_1.jpg
    a4_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 16_1.jpg
    16_1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 22
  • vemp_0605_04z+1965_corvette_coupe+interior.jpg
    vemp_0605_04z+1965_corvette_coupe+interior.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 30
  • aprd69pi.jpg
    aprd69pi.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 20
I would just forget about the whole door bar deal you posted above, it will make getting in and out a bitch. Why not just use one bar, maybe 2 max but triangulated. Like in the car with the blue interior.

Like this

101_1721.jpg

The nascar style bars are safer though. SCCA rules say that two bars are required so either could work

Heres another x but it's real low

It would be easier to get in and out then

This one actually has both

8-interior.jpg

I've also seen the anscar bars real low also

101_1714.jpg

1202396744lg.jpg

Last edited:
I would just forget about the whole door bar deal you posted above, it will make getting in and out a bitch. Why not just use one bar, maybe 2 max but triangulated. Like in the car with the blue interior.

a quick release steering wheel makes "life" getting in & out much easier....don`t buy one with a hex, get a Sweet.

yeah the hex ones (speedway) suck. Grant used to make a very nice one that fits the stock column, not sure if it's still avaialble. It was the lift ring type.

I may end up swapping my steering column for a sweet collapsable and getting their disconnect while I'm at it.

If he can hold on till this semester's over he has a very nice Grant quick Unit heading his way. I'm gonna start on my dash and new steering column (A SWEET telescoping one)

The Ladder style bars are good for safety but triangulated is stronger...

:wink:

I want to have the doors easily removable also

I'm picking up another pair of doors this weekend to modify

I'm not really worried about me getting in though, more so my dad. He can get in and of the nascar pretty good though.

84rzv500r I'll have to take you up on that offer if I keep the stock column

The column and the mounts have to weight a ton though.

Last edited:
The column isn't that heavy. The mounts are, and the early cast iron upper mount weight a ton. The later stamped steel ones are a little lighter but still very heavy

How would guess that the mounts weight? Do you think It would be easy to make some custom mounts?

They are not a very difficult design, you could probably fab something out of steel and drill holes in it to lighten it.

SO to recap are these cages all fabricated or "kit" cages that come from a vendor. Am looking for a fully legal and strong cage setup for my C-3 and need to buy the "best" fit for a vintage racer...

What vendors are best, and use American Steel...??

Here is my timeframe...bodywork, rear flares installation currently ongoing, and expected compoletion in a couple weeks. Want to get the body, doors back to primer and ready for paint in a month. Removing the body, the frame will be measured and then welded up, gusseted and painted, then ready for the body / cage intallation.

Any advice anyone has would be awesome, Redvetracer please chime in if you have any tips for me!

Joe 949-280-9799

Last edited:
SO to recap are these cages all fabricated or "kit" cages that come from a vendor. Am looking for a fully legal and strong cage setup for my C-3 and need to buy the "best" fit for a vintage racer...

What vendors are best, and use American Steel...??

Here is my timeframe...bodywork, rear flares installation currently ongoing, and expected compoletion in a couple weeks. Want to get the body, doors back to primer and ready for paint in a month. Removing the body, the frame will be measured and then welded up, gusseted and painted, then ready for the body / cage intallation.

Any advice anyone has would be awesome, Redvetracer please chime in if you have any tips for me!

Joe 949-280-9799

If your looking for "old school" you might start with an Autopower (San Diego) roll bar then find someone (a sand buggy builder maybe as you live in the desert) to add on to that. For some reason the Owens-Corning team didn`t have full cages until the winter of 1970 when they had Michigan funny car chassis builder Logghe stamping bend them up three identical cages (my car is the only one that retains it`s full original cage)....SCCA rules perhaps?
redvetracr

Interesting. I am desirous of the old school look, but integrating that to a strong and somewhat contemporary cage is essential for safety in my mind. Side impact, chassis rigidity and clean design....so many choices! Thanks for your answer!