Hey! Now my windows quit working!

JPhil

Huh?
'73 coupe....

Last week I accidently hit both power window switches at the same time. I thought a circuit breaker popped, it made a funny little noise and they both stopped. A couple minutes later they were working again and worked fine for the last few days. This morning they don't work at all. Nothing, no click, no twitch on the amp guage, nothing. I pulled back in the garage and looked on the fuse block, no fuse for windows. Pulled out my wiring schematic, sure enough no breaker or fuse. So I guess I burned out the relay.

Nowhere in my manuals does it say anything about power windows.
Can someone tell me where to find the relay? Is it under the console where the switches are? I can't recall from when I had it apart a couple years ago.

Any ideas or helpful tips from anyone?

John

MY relay was more or less on the trans tunnel, behind the center instrument cluster, as I recall, what I did years ago, is remove the relay entirely, as not needed....I think it's a 20 amp fuse for my car...maybe 30....

:hi:

Got back home at 10PM tonight and remembered my Assembly Manual. And looking at my schematic more, I realized there is a 30A circuit breaker for the window motors on the firewall, but the relay appears to be under the dash near the center guage console. I checked voltage across the breaker, 12.45. I jumpered it but no joy to the window motors, so I guess I get to look for the relay this weekend.....

Last edited:
'73 coupe....

Last week I accidently hit both power window switches at the same time. I thought a circuit breaker popped, it made a funny little noise and they both stopped. A couple minutes later they were working again and worked fine for the last few days. This morning they don't work at all. Nothing, no click, no twitch on the amp guage, nothing. I pulled back in the garage and looked on the fuse block, no fuse for windows. Pulled out my wiring schematic, sure enough no breaker or fuse. So I guess I burned out the relay.

Nowhere in my manuals does it say anything about power windows.
Can someone tell me where to find the relay? Is it under the console where the switches are? I can't recall from when I had it apart a couple years ago.

Any ideas or helpful tips from anyone?

John

The funny little noise makes me suspicious and makes me wonder just where was it that you thought you heard it coming from? A funny little noise could be a loose wire/connection making sparking noises. It might be as simple as a disconnected spade terminal. Then again, finding said short/open circuit can be frustrating if you have no idea of where to start...
My 2 bux worth
(2 cents don't go anywhere anymore)

Did you read what just happened to mine? Connectors wore through and were grounding out on the drive shaft tunnel. Bang against the console with your fist while you hold the switch and see if anything happens.

I found the relay under the center console but haven't had time to do any further troubleshooting. The little "fzzt" sound did sounded like it came from under the console but it was so quick it was hard to tell. Visually the wires look good but only testing will tell. Hopefully this Saturday.
The Chevy dealer here found me an OEM relay & breaker in North Carolina. I just went ahead and ordered them even though I haven't proven anything yet.

I found the relay under the center console but haven't had time to do any further troubleshooting. The little "fzzt" sound did sounded like it came from under the console but it was so quick it was hard to tell. Visually the wires look good but only testing will tell. Hopefully this Saturday.
The Chevy dealer here found me an OEM relay & breaker in North Carolina. I just went ahead and ordered them even though I haven't proven anything yet.

That's 'cause you have a case of the "what if's"...

That's 'cause you have a case of the "watt if's"...

I had to fix that 4 U on account of we talking 'lectical' shit here....:shocking:

Fixed it :rolleyes:

The parts are on back order, who knows when they'll be in. I've so busy lately I got depressed about it and it's just been sitting in the garage.
Then I got to thinking more about what you guys said about a loose connection or some other cause. Remembered that when I pulled on the battery side connector of the relay it almost fell off. So tonight I blew off going to the store and went home and checked for power at the connectors. All good. When I went to put the connector back on, it was really stiff, I had to work it on. Hmmm, it fell off but it's stiff going on.....Hmmm, maybe I pulled it loose without realizing it when I was dicking around in there earlier in the year when I had the dash all apart.....Hmmm. Power out checks out OK. Lets try it now....

All good!! Windows work fine now.:drink:

Jeez, this has to rate right up there with when I thought the gas guage quit working but finally realized the tank was empty. Sometimes I jump to conclusions too quickly......But I'm glad it was that easy. Now I wonder if I can get a refund on that relay that hasn't come in yet.......

Fixed it :rolleyes:

The parts are on back order, who knows when they'll be in. I've so busy lately I got depressed about it and it's just been sitting in the garage.
Then I got to thinking more about what you guys said about a loose connection or some other cause. Remembered that when I pulled on the battery side connector of the relay it almost fell off. So tonight I blew off going to the store and went home and checked for power at the connectors. All good. When I went to put the connector back on, it was really stiff, I had to work it on. Hmmm, it fell off but it's stiff going on.....Hmmm, maybe I pulled it loose without realizing it when I was dicking around in there earlier in the year when I had the dash all apart.....Hmmm. Power out checks out OK. Lets try it now....

All good!! Windows work fine now.:drink:

Jeez, this has to rate right up there with when I thought the gas guage quit working but finally realized the tank was empty. Sometimes I jump to conclusions too quickly......But I'm glad it was that easy. Now I wonder if I can get a refund on that relay that hasn't come in yet.......

I wouldn't cancel that relay. I have a nagging feeling you will need it.