'76 Groundstrap Q

mike76c3

I've been looking through my AIM, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for: I think there's supposed to be a ground from the passenger side valve cover to the firewall. Is that correct? If so, where on the firewall?

I don't have a pic, mainly 'cuz of how bad it looks, but when I acquired my car from the PO, it had some 10 gauge or so bare stranded wire between the driver side valve cover and the power steering box.

Thanks,
Mike

There's usually one running from an engine bolt (head or tranny bolt) to the wiper motor (the wiper motor is grounded through 1 of the metal sleeves in the rubber mounting bushings and that's where the strap comes in because obviosuly fiberglass is not ground) there's a jumper wire from the wiper motor ground to the blower fan.

If you have a grounding problem, there's a grounding strap from the birdcage on the drivers side to the body mount bracket/outrigger on the frame. There's a small bolt hole in the bracket, it's behind the rocker rail. It's a braided steel strap.

Also there's a grounding strap on the passenger on the underside of the motor mount bracket, to the engine (starter motor nose support bracket)

on my 77 the grounding wire you are talking about comes out of the wiring harness that goes to the starter motor and is attached to a bolt that connects the bell housing to the engine just above the starter motor, this is only about an 18 guage wire and is certainly only a supplemental ground