C5 brake master cylinder in a C3, Line adapter question

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Trying to adapt the C5 master cylinder to the C3 distribution block.

I need to make a short brake line with a bubble flare on one end and a double flare on the other end. I can buy a short length with the bubble flare already on it but the tube is 6mm (.236). So I can't really grip this tube with my double flare tool. To make this even more complex, I need to go from a 12mm x 1.5 bubble flare (rear port on C5 master) to a 1/8-27 NPT on a Wilwood adjustable valve. Then, the front port is 12mm x 1.0 and I need to go to an inverted flare with a 1/2 tube nut.

Any ideas? Is there an ISO bubble flare that uses a 1/4 inch line? Any other solutions (adapters etc)?

no, you need adapters to -3 or -4 an lines (3/16 & 4/16). Pegasus has them but not all with the proper flare (not inverted) so I used a simple solution for the one that was flares the wrong way around, I epoxied it into the master. So far no issues.

You can bubble flare standard brake line. I have done it many times. If the metric fitting is a little snug on the line just run a drill bit threw it to make for a better fit.

Actually if you don't have a bubble flare tool, you can usually get away with only doing the first step of a double flare. It may not be right, but I have done it before I had my good flaring set and it seal up.:evil:

Change of plans, I am going to ditch the C3 distribution block and use the Wilwood combination valve (pn 260-11179) with the adjustable brake bias built it. All the ports on the Wilwood unit are -3 inverted flare. I found some adapters to change the ports in the C5 master to -3 inverted flare so now the I can connect the master to the Wilwood valve. I need to find some adapters to go from -3 inverted flare (male) to -4 flare (female), then I can connect the C3 lines to the combination valve.

In the front port of the C5 master I used a NAPA 7936 adapter (12 x 1.0mm to 3/16) and in the rear port I used a Edelmann 262400 (12 x 1.5mm to 1/4) and another Endelmann 258340 (1/4 to 3/16)

The front adapter I bought at NAPA but it's an Eaton PN. The rear adapters I bought at Orielly's but they are Edelmann part numbers.

OK, Finnaly got this worked out. As posted before, front port of the C5 master I used a NAPA 7936 adapter (12 x 1.0mm to 3/16) and in the rear port I used a Edelmann 262400 (12 x 1.5mm to 1/4). I did not use the Endelmann 258340 (1/4 to 3/16) in the rear port. I found a short brake line at NAPA that was a -4 inverted to -3 inverted. The front line is a -3 inverted to -3 inverted.

The two adapters on the botton of the Wilwood valve (that connect the stock C3 lines) are both Edelman 258340 -3 to -4 inverted flare adapters.

Also cut the length of the pushrod in the booster and made a new bracket for the valve.

44da5ae212b580.jpg

Next you going to say you did all that work on that nice white carpeting.....

:gurney::censored::hissyfit::club:

It's funny that you say that. 7 years ago that room was filled with parts I took off of my 68. I got divorced the year before and the ex got the furniture, I got the house. So, it looked like an indoor junkyard, wish I had pictures.

Yes the carpets been cleaned since then and I actually have new furniture now.

When can we buy that kit :)

Do you have more of those adapters?? i could use some and the inverted flare is easier than the an flare

When can we buy that kit :)

Do you have more of those adapters?? i could use some and the inverted flare is easier than the an flare

No I don't have any more adapters but they are pretty easy to come by. The adapters were Edelmann but they cross reference to Eaton, Weaterhead, NAPA etc. They run about $5 each here.

Just finished up a C5 master in my fathers car... We were able to find a hydraulic line shop that had the adapters directly to a 3/16" line. They didnt have any part numbers, just letting you know they are out there :2nd:
propvalve-2.jpg

It's funny that you say that. 7 years ago that room was filled with parts I took off of my 68. I got divorced the year before and the ex got the furniture, I got the house. So, it looked like an indoor junkyard, wish I had pictures.

Yes the carpets been cleaned since then and I actually have new furniture now.

I love it! Did the same thing when I did my 90 project vette. Gotta love being single!

Someone brought this up at CF. Gotta say that the work one this master setup is awesome BBShark. I have the master in my basement ready to go and some hardlines with bubble flares I was going to bend to meet the stock distribution block. My thoughts were to reflare at this point with stock size fittings. I like the idea of the wilwood prop valve though.

Does the c5 master stick out any further than stock?

(My master pushes into my air intake elbow as it is.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bringing this very informative thread back to the top.

Firstly, thank you for posting this information.

I had a question regarding the C5 being used with manual brakes on the C3. From what I could find, both masters have a 1" bore. This would lead me to believe I would have no issues using the C5 master without power brakes. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything else. I would eliminate the stock brake distribution block and install an adjustable proportioning valve as well.