Rochester EFI

Grampy

After way too much time my project converting a Rochester 7375 to EFI is almost finshed so I thought I'd post a few pictures.

Grampy

Attachments

• IMG_4231_small.jpg
    IMG_4231_small.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4232_small.jpg
    IMG_4232_small.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 55
So exactly what are we looking at?

An old Rochester Mechanical FI induction, modified for modern injectors instead of that mechanical valve/pipe setup.....

I had a 'friend' once that kept about 1/2 dzn of them in his basement, it was popular to tear them off vettes and put on carbs....this all in the mid/late 60's....today they worth a fortune for the resto crowd....back then, could pick them up for like 75 bux.....been a while.....

:eek:

So exactly what are we looking at?

An old Rochester Mechanical FI induction, modified for modern injectors instead of that mechanical valve/pipe setup.....

Yeah I got that. I'd like to know how he did it and what he used.

Essentially a neater version of what I did when adding DPFI on to a Pontiac 455 engine, back around '91-92 come think of it, I still have that entire setup, I going to pix it and post.....because the only manifold I had was a dual plane, I had no choice but to run individual lines from a fuel block to each injector, not a pipe across the tops....so I had pads machined/welded for the injector mounts and made the plumbing on a drill press myself....the computer was an old analogue system from Bendix in Newport News Va.....they had 3 engines from GM to work with in the early 70's to come up with computer FI, Olds 350 that appeared in the late 70's Caddy Sevilles....and the 425 Caddy engine that appeared in the Sedan Devilles, and the 500 Caddy engine that was SUPER RARE with injection on it....only one I ever heard of....

So I raided a junkyard of course, and pulled the entire system off a '79 Caddy 425 engine/Deville......the computers being analogue, were using op amps and comparators, and pulse width modulated drivers....a mean feat with early 70's tech....So the OEM crew that was at Bendix was retained by Allied Signal, when I talked to them, they were very helpful and interested in my efforts as it was an offshoot of their old program, they were still rebuilding the computers for GM at that time.....eventually Allied sold out to Siemens and the Germans learned a bit about electronics....:eek::lol:

Attachments

• Pontiac injection 001.JPG
    Pontiac injection 001.JPG
    803.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Pontiac injection 002.JPG
    Pontiac injection 002.JPG
    679.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hey Kid,

I've run the mechanical injector on and off for about 30 years. I have wanted to convert to sequential electronic for a long time. I've done most of the work but I travel a lot and I'm slow. I still have more work to finish the cold air supply. The ECU is the current Holley aftermarket piece that uses mostly a non drive by wire LS2 sensor suite. The wire harnesses are custom fit. All the stuff to adapt the sensors, injectors, fuel delivery, throttle body and linkage etc. were custom built. I tried to keep the original look as much as possible.

Grampy

Hi Garys 68. Yes I have seen the article. Ken, the owner and builder was kind enough to give me some advice and encouragement when I started out. He did a terrific job with his project.

Grampy