Tunnel plate for C5 and/or C6

MYBAD79

Hoping to reduce the temperature at the center console and maybe stiffen the chassis a little. These tunnel plates seem to be a very good selling item (profit margin seems to be very good at $250 and more).... anyway...... found what seems to be a good deal on our favorite auction website :D

These plates are offered in 1/4" thickness and 3/8" - stock thickness is 1/8".

I am thinking that installing both, the stock 1/8" and the 1/4" ceramic coated plate with longer bolts should improve interior temperature and also still fit without interfering with the exhaust (1/8 + 1/4 = 3/8)

Is the advertized "improved chassis stiffness" noticeable ??

Waste of money?

Is the Z06 plate thicker than the standard C6 plate ???

The plate is between the exhaust pipes and the body, under the driveshaft. No idea if there is any insulation in the tunnel, it sure feels like there's none :D

If the pipes are inside the tunnel and that plate encloses the tunnel, the ceramic coating is useless.

Maybe a fan would help!

The plate is replacing the stock 1/8" sheetmetal that is located right above the exhaust pipes.

214b83fc85eaf61.jpg

Here it is installed:

214b83fc857ce01.jpg

The tunnel with the driveshaft is above the plate...

My opinion is that the only advantage will be only some more thermal insulation.

I think the frame rigidity will be the same. Basically the plate works under traction.... and 3mm of steel are largely enough.

1/8" plate is thin but they think it's necessary to use that many bolts??? I am not an engineer so maybe somebody here can educate me.

36 bolts to hold the plate in place....

I just got the 1/4" plate yesterday, it appears to be solid ... hopefully the thermal coating works as good as it looks :)

36 bolts because when the plate is in place the tunnel becomes like a big monolitic pipe.
The load must be spreaded evenly in the structure..... and any bolt is doing some work.

The tunnel must be very stiff under torsional load..... and whithout the plate well bolted in place the stiffness will be very low.

GM did a good job in this...... the torque tube is in a very confined environ and in this way they was able to gain a lot of room withouth any compromize in the chassis.

just my 2 cents....

got the plate yesterday. I have not been under the car to see what these holes on the stock plate look like... the pic of the silver aftermarket plate that I posted earlier shows these holes round like all the other holes in the plate....

Well..... fortunately I have a drill press just in case..... :smash::smash:

214b8f20ee50e50.jpg

Last edited: