Welding cautions?

82Vettester

You guys probably know all dangers out there when welding, but when it comes to welding I'm a novice. I came across this link on another forum and I thought I'd ask what other serious no-no's there are when welding. I remember hearing something about zinc. Any others?

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

sure lots of others.....NO OIL around Oxygen..... and do not use Brake Clean to clean off parts to be Mig welded....the brake clean fluid and the shielding gas make a lethal combination.

Welding zinc won't kill you unless you're in a really, really, really enclosed space. I used to build 16 ga galv ducts for commercial kitchens (did it for something like 20 plus years, plus the years child labor laws didn't apply to a family business. You will get a funny taste in your mouth, and it will (since most zinc is then coated in oil) contaminate your weld. But occasional contact won't kill you or even (for the 99% of us) really give you anything but a metallic taste in your mouth.

The one I do caution people about is this one. Argon is heavier then air, so it displaces air. An example, a friend was welding inside stainless brew-tanks, and almost died of asphixiation - because for the argon to go away, it falls down, but in a tank it simply displaces the air. For car guys, there are plenty of situations where you get in an enclosed space and could really put oneself at risk.

forgot to mention the fix. if you do get argon in your lungs the ONLY way to get it out is to lay on your bed with your head lower then your lungs for 20 minutes to an hour depending on exposure.

Last edited:
forgot to mention the fix. if you do get argon in your lungs the ONLY way to get it out is to lay on your bed with your head lower then your lungs for 20 minutes to an hour depending on exposure.
Never thought about the risks of inhaling heavier-than-air inert gazes... interresting.

Edit: added inert (Mybad)

Last edited:
I never knew about the brake cleaner, and about the heavier than air gig....

but I know my welder buddy will not weld galvanized anything without grinding hell out of it first....

SO glad to have a friend who is a pro welder, without HIM a LOT of shit would not not get done....

:gurney:

Interesting, this proves that a novice asking questions will get information out.

I'm a novice when it comes to welding, just reading about in this thread, I'll remember the dangers and maybe, just maybe I'll be more carefull next time I use the welder.

Altho, as a few of you guys allready know...anytime I work, I take the meaning "blood,sweat and tears" to a whole new level.:gurney: LOL

if you CAN then yes, definitely grind and clean the steel you want to weld.

Welding means melting and joining two identical or very similar materials - not steel, paint, zinc, glue or undercoating.......LOL....

Avoid brwathing this crap !!!

Argon: Argon is an inert gas, means it won't mix with oxygen so breathing alone won't get this stuff out of your lungs..... elevating the lungs aeove the head seems like a good plan but I woundn't want to try it to find out if it really works :D

if you CAN then yes, definitely grind and clean the steel you want to weld.

Welding means melting and joining two identical or very similar materials - not steel, paint, zinc, glue or undercoating.......LOL....

Avoid brwathing this crap !!!

Argon: Argon is an inert gas, means it won't mix with oxygen so breathing alone won't get this stuff out of your lungs..... elevating the lungs aeove the head seems like a good plan but I woundn't want to try it to find out if it really works :D

the first rule is never do a job where you aren't smart enough to notice the risks - welding the inside of a tank, how many ways can that go wrong?

the guy who did it isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but at least his wife (the nurse) knew to put him like that... he still seems okay (this is a very relative term)

yep, cleaning is good.... brake cleaner makes for great times if you're not the one doing the welding.... also firecrackers make for lots of fun (tape under the weld line). From inside the mask, it seriously looks like the world is exploding in magma ....

Someone here recommended making sure that your not welding close to ANYTHING that might catch on fire. That stuff stays hot for a long time. Like everyone else, I have stuff stored in my garage, in boxes that would make a pretty nice fire.

Also, a fire extiguisher seems like a good idea.

Someone here recommended making sure that your not welding close to ANYTHING that might catch on fire. That stuff stays hot for a long time. Like everyone else, I have stuff stored in my garage, in boxes that would make a pretty nice fire.

Also, a fire extiguisher seems like a good idea.

Very good advice, I know several stories of people who were grinding or welding and their garage caught on fire lots of hours later.

yep, cleaning is good.... brake cleaner makes for great times if you're not the one doing the welding.... also firecrackers make for lots of fun (tape under the weld line). From inside the mask, it seriously looks like the world is exploding in magma ....

there was a thread not too long ago about chemicals (even household cleaner) turning into poisoning gas:

http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4420&highlight=cleaner+gas+warning

here's a link to the article;
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I was taught to always clean up my gear and tools, crack a cold one, and sit in the garage for at least 30 minutes after I'm finished to make sure nothing flares up. That was the shop rule when growing up and it has carried over at my place.

I would have to think that I'd be passed out after cracking cold ones for 8 hours. The 30 minute rule as well as being cautious about keeping cardboard, paper, and other flammable materials away from your work area has worked well so far.

I would have to think that I'd be passed out after cracking cold ones for 8 hours. The 30 minute rule as well as being cautious about keeping cardboard, paper, and other flammable materials away from your work area has worked well so far.

I wonder what BBQ'd pancake (in a demi-glaze of beer) smells like :pprrtt: :D

I wonder what BBQ'd pancake (in a demi-glaze of beer) smells like :pprrtt: :D

Like bacon.