'Lectronic issues, of all things.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Some of you all may remember that being a old ET, I know my electronics pretty good, Well, yesterday was NOT a auspicious start for the new year.....

cold out yesterday AM, so went to hang a bedroom chandelier in place of the 40 y/o fixture the house was built with....after looking for over 1/2 hour for a cross bar, I gave up and headed to HD across the street, now it gets interesting.....

started the vette, engine rough, great...went to back out the garage, and engine died, restarted, goosed it a tad....fans came on, engine at dead cold, I look at the a/c setting, it was off, I even flip switches....fans ON, I hook up scanner, it says water is running 80f.....humm, not running long enough I don't think, anyway, it's not changing, and now the code light is set....coolent temp not right...yeh, I know that....

SO, I actually have two collent temp senders in the engine, one in back one in front near the stat....so I switch the wire to the back one, it's a TPI type install, so that says the same thing....I pull the DVM out and the computer too, and start in looking for grounds, and signal wires, I"m going crazy at this point, finding NOTHING, everytning tests normal....I switch computers and CalPaks....same shit, engine at same temp indication on computer, but cap tube gauge into head says 180f....fans on, ....:bomb:

at that point I had looked at the whole damn thing, grounds, signal wire, two senders, WTF??

so I get out my old jumper/decade parts sub box from being a TV man yet....and jumper in a resistor to say 200f to the computer, and sure enough the scanner says 200f, and engine smooths out....wait a minit, I have TWO sending units in two different positions both doing the same shit on TWO completely different computers, and cal paks....back to looking for a ground...find nothing rong....

I plug in the sender near the stat again, and computer NOW indicated right, been all over this shit several times,.....

I get disgusted, pull the thing in the garage, and go hang my lamp....

what I am wondering is that the alternator was not going charge without revving the engine, interesting, the car even died in the parking lot at HD, started up again and then in the drive I REALLY went ape shit tearing into it as above....

at this point I wondering about the ground connections between the car body and the frame, on these old sharks, anyone ever actually seen a solid wire ground from the BODY/birdcage metal to the FRAME/ENGINE?? I never have, must be the #2=3 body mounts I guess.... 40 years??

any OTHER suggestions?? been all through all the wiring that made any sense at all....and it's only the CTS that's alarming the computer, all the rest of the data looked normal...even closed loop, go figger....

:rolleyes::huh::skeptic:

Gene,
95% of all "ghost" symptoms are bad/open grounds.

I know, been all through them though...going to see what happens a little later i'ts f f ff f forty f f freeking fffarenheit out now.....:gurney:

Sissy. It's a whoppin' 14* F here in KC.

I haven't looked for it yet, but supposedly there's a ground from the frame to the birdcage someplace around the left door post..

Sissy. It's a whoppin' 14* F here in KC.

I haven't looked for it yet, but supposedly there's a ground from the frame to the birdcage someplace around the left door post..

fuffuffreezzzzing asss offf and so today the stupid thing started and warmed up just fine....no codes, nothing rong, normal all over...go figger....

:shocking:

take this bitch over to my welder and have him connect the engine block to the frame, and the frame to the bird cage....

:gurney::club: