Modifing Accel 8mm plug wires

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
I installed a set of Yellow 8mm Accell wires,,, A few of them are too long and the extra length is stuffed behind the Dizzy and hidden,, I don't like that!! I want to custom cut these wires for length,,, Question is,, What type of crimp ends, who sells them,, any caution remarks when crimping,,, should fiber glass boots be installed????

I seen a set of plug wires while out to LA,,, They had ground braided sleeves on the plug wire,,, Who sells the sleeve or does it come already as a kit???

Any help,,, Thanks

Rich

I have found that taking my scratch awl, a long thin hard steel needle like with wood handle it's only 1/8 diameter....and slipping it into the rubber around the dizzy end, and then sliding it sideways to release the rubber from the end off the wire jacket....then just pull the wire outta there with some encouragement from a #2 phillips to push the clip outta there too....some of them are kinda tough, and you maybe loose one, and/or the wire come outta the crimp...but you can use needle nose to bend it open once outta the cap, and hopefully you can rebend it around the new wire length with about 1/2-3/4 inch of center core bent around and crimped in with it....I use silicone spray or even WD40 to make slippery to re insert into the boot.....

I have the same yellow wires, but with Jacobs ceramic boots, and that's a very LONG very frustrating story finally found it just over a year ago....

that damn dirty rotten muvva fucking son of a bitch bastard cock sucker.....

:stirpot::D:(

And that's EXACTLY why I buy "custom" wires. So I don't have to fool around trying to get them the correct length.

The braid covered wires were on Vettes with radios- the braid kills the ignition noise. They were made with it installed. I know the BB cars had it, but I don't recall the SB cars. It was grounded at both ends- the tin can around the dizzy and also at the rocker cover bolts. It's kinda pricey now, but still available from the Corvette vendors.

And that's EXACTLY why I buy "custom" wires. So I don't have to fool around trying to get them the correct length.

The braid covered wires were on Vettes with radios- the braid kills the ignition noise. They were made with it installed. I know the BB cars had it, but I don't recall the SB cars. It was grounded at both ends- the tin can around the dizzy and also at the rocker cover bolts. It's kinda pricey now, but still available from the Corvette vendors.

Here's what the BB wires from '70 look like. The braid is grounded to the valve cover bolts at one end and the ignition shielding bracket at the other. Don't think I've ever seen them for SB.

I had cut some before. Bought some ends and a standard crimping tool from an online vendor....no biggie. I tested them with my multimeter after I worked them up.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/34605/10002/-1

IMG_0439.jpg

Last edited:
I know the braid was for static supression, It also would stop a leaking wire from cross jumping into another next to it. I just wanted to shorten some long wires,, and ""yes, Yes, yes, Go buy a custom set.. HUMMMMM , Custom don'tmean sheit,,, this set was custom,, customer beware, we got your money"""LMAO"" with your money to the bank!!!!!!

Around here anyway, the kits for custom length run about 3-4x the cost of the same damn thing assembled....

so I rework the assembled type and get hell over it allready....

course the Jacobs boots are another story....