Home made circuit boards?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Just curious if anyone makes their own circuit boards these days. I want to make a short adapter harness for my '84 to hook up a/some later model ECMs. I stopped at a Radio Shack the other day and the guy looked at me like I was some kind of dinosaur for asking that question.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

I've been going to Radio Shack since the early '70's. It's not the same hobbyists store it once was. Now they mostly sell cell-phones. Used to be a cool place for a 16 year old electronics geek to hang out.

I looked them up once online some years ago....dunno if still around, but in the Wash DC region.....was this joint called Capitol Electronics....Cap radio back in the day.....methinks I supported them pretty good....they are top flight nerds.....but it's been maybe 15 years since I set foot in the Gaithersburg Md. location....:nuts::nuts::bounce:

edit, Mike, I don't understand how a circuit card helps with adapting a wiring harness....I would think a old computer to get the connectors off, run wires to junkyard plugs for your new computer....NO?? where does a circuit card come in..??

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone makes their own circuit boards these days. I want to make a short adapter harness for my '84 to hook up a/some later model ECMs. I stopped at a Radio Shack the other day and the guy looked at me like I was some kind of dinosaur for asking that question.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

Harness adapter module or HAM board for hooking up later pin style ECM to an edge card connector setup like yours originally. They have been around for a long time. Used to be made by speedtronics (Bill Hitchkock) I think DCS (dynamic crossfire solutions) now sells them, the owners are members here.

Next time you get to Kansas City-- Electronics Supply 41st & Main. www.eskc.com
If it's electronic and they don't have it or can't get it, it's not made anymore.

Last edited:

edit, Mike, I don't understand how a circuit card helps with adapting a wiring harness....I would think a old computer to get the connectors off, run wires to junkyard plugs for your new computer....NO?? where does a circuit card come in..??

The old ECMs (like my '84) are a double-sided pcb edge-card connector design. I want to make a "duplicate ECM edge configuration" to solder to a short harness length that will plug into a later ECM. I've got a couple spare good ECMs for the '84, but I didn't want to tear one up to get the input portion of the pcb. I'm trying to make a couple edge connectors for minimal expense so I can play with a couple different ECMs.

The old ECMs (like my '84) are a double-sided pcb edge-card connector design. I want to make a "duplicate ECM edge configuration" to solder to a short harness length that will plug into a later ECM. I've got a couple spare good ECMs for the '84, but I didn't want to tear one up to get the input portion of the pcb. I'm trying to make a couple edge connectors for minimal expense so I can play with a couple different ECMs.

Interesting, same connector style used on the old Caddy 76-79 Seville system....Bendix, Newport News Va......that's they system I used to run my Lemans/GTO convertible Pontiac 455 with....still have the induction...TimAT has seen it...
:shocking::beer: