1971 Skylark Convertible

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
Yesterday I went out and bought myself a new toy. Ideally I wanted an Olds Cutlass Convertible with factory air but I came across this baby at a fraction of the price of what Cutlass 'Verts are going for.

Dark Midnight Blue Metallic paint, 350, 2 bbl, auto, factory air. Here's lots of :photo:

100_0318.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0319.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0320.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0321.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0322.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0323.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0324.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0325.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0326.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0327.jpg
[/IMG]

Dayum, that car looks SO familiar....Kid next door to me up north had one, some ~20 years ago, kept it outside, unfurtunately, no garage...it was triple black, I think he had a 400 in it, I know it was a Qj....I o/hauled the carb on it once....

sweet ride, very similar to my '70 Lemans convertible....:hi::beer::beer::yahoo:

I know it's none of our business, but I sold my Lemans for 5 grand even, in '98....

curious what you paid....please PM me if you don't wanna say publicly....

:beer::beer:

Wow, NICE! awesome color too. Are you sure they're 85 monte seats? Looks a lot like even newer (95?) The 85s have similar seats to the F bodies and they don't look like that, the 90?s up ones I think do. Sure looks comfy.

Wow, NICE! awesome color too. Are you sure they're 85 monte seats? Looks a lot like even newer (95?) The 85s have similar seats to the F bodies and they don't look like that, the 90?s up ones I think do. Sure looks comfy.

I am not sure about the year of the seats. You are probably right.

I have questions for all of you about the "heavy" 350 that this car came with. Is there a website with data on this engine and these cars? Is the heavy 350 engine any good or should I be looking at a replacement? I am not planning on any serious racing, this car is for cruising, I also plan on keeping the factory a/c intact.

I am not sure about the year of the seats. You are probably right.

I have questions for all of you about the "heavy" 350 that this car came with. Is there a website with data on this engine and these cars? Is the heavy 350 engine any good or should I be looking at a replacement? I am not planning on any serious racing, this car is for cruising, I also plan on keeping the factory a/c intact.

Not sure about Buick, but Olds/Pontiac 350 engine were the same block casting as the larger ones including 455, and they were heavy engines.....

I understood that Buick 400+ engine had thinner wall? castings, and were much lighter, making them a bit of a sleeper....IF the 350 has the same Buick casting, it would still be heavy for a 350 engine....

:beer:

I had a 69 LeSabre with that same 350 I got 125, 000 miles and hit 125 MPH a couple times. It was still running strong when I gave it back to dad when I bought my Gran Prix in 79

It seems that there are not a whole lot of aftermarket parts for the Buick 350's. Does anyone know of a source for Buick parts? I found T A Performance online, they have some stuff but it is limited.

Only outfit I know of who maybe can help is YEAR ONE, maybe they have some leads....

there was some activity on the Buick 455 years ago, but engine was cancelled along with all else in '78, I know Pontiac shipped the last of their engines in '79 for some of the trans ams....

:cry:

I owned a 69 Buick Skylark with a 350 automatic. I bought it around 1971 with around 40K on the clock. It was one of the nicest cars I have owned and the engine was trouble free. The guy I sold it to lived in the neighborhood and his wife drove that car well over 100K and he once told me how much she enjoyed it and how well it performed. It was never a fast car, but for cruising perfect. The only reason I sold it was to buy a 72 GTO at a price I couldn't pass up. If your engine had be cared for, just do regular maintence on it and go cruisin! BTW...nice car, have fun!

Thanks to all for the compliments. My plans are to install a 4 bbl. intake, the old Quadrajet from my 'Vette and dual exhaust, pretty much keeping it stock. I also plan on doing a front disc brake conversion. :cool:

Thanks to all for the compliments. My plans are to install a 4 bbl. intake, the old Quadrajet from my 'Vette and dual exhaust, pretty much keeping it stock. I also plan on doing a front disc brake conversion. :cool:

Your best source is Carlisle for most of those parts you will need, you need bone up on your needs really good so to get the right shit....

:crutches:

Your best source is Carlisle for most of those parts you will need, you need bone up on your needs really good so to get the right shit....

I found a great place for the Buick crowd at v8buick.com - they are very helpful and have a great parts/cars for sale/wanted section.

I have already located a tilt column, gauge set (to replace idiot lights), a 4 bbl intake manifold, washer nozzles and more on the forum....

I found a great place for the Buick crowd at v8buick.com - they are very helpful and have a great parts/cars for sale/wanted section.

I have already located a tilt column, gauge set (to replace idiot lights), a 4 bbl intake manifold, washer nozzles and more on the forum....

Gauge set surprises me, that was hard to get the actual GTO gauges for that Lemans I had....20 years ago....:shocking::beer:

Gauge set surprises me, that was hard to get the actual GTO gauges for that Lemans I had....20 years ago....:shocking::beer:

I was both pleased and surprised to find a gauge set - a little pricey but a stock unit. As we all know - idiot lights are useless, there's no substitute for gauges.

I haven't posted in a while so I'll update things. I have been upgrading the old Skylark a bit. I found a very user friendly forum for Buick owners - V8 Buick.com - and have been able to source almost all of my parts from the group there. So far I have installed a factory tilt column and ditched the idiot lights for a full set of factory gauges. The front end has had a complete rebuild including new springs, new springs were installed in the rear also. After the front end was done I had it aligned, then we installed a new tail pipe to complete the exhaust. There were quite a few electrical gremlins that got chased down and eliminated. I have purchased a set of factory rally wheels, the combo I have on now does not fit well. I also have a new gas tank and sending unit on the way. I ditched the 13" aftermarket steering wheel and dyed a spare Corvette Steering wheel I had (black) and installed it in the Skylark. There are a few interior items that I need to source and replace, nothing too drastic. I also need to get the convertible frame and top installed. Fortunately the car is driveable and can be enjoyed throughout the restoration! I'll post some pics in a few days.:D