Old Project Revitalized - 56 Track Car

Pappy- are you a fabricator/car builder by trade? :drink:

Thanks. I'm just an old, retired fighter pilot, but the operative word is "old". I have been practicing fabrication for 60 years - started when I was 13. If I would just move faster and leave well enough alone, maybe I would get this thing on the track and out of the jack stand class.

Pappy

I think the jack stand class is alot of fun.

those limiting heim joints (?) are a thing of beauty i love it. freaking elegantly simple.

I love the fabrication on this project.

Here is a product I really like. It is a tough paint with stainless steel in it. Called Steel-It. Available in black or gray. You can weld through it. It is tough as nails - hard to chip or scratch. A lot of the off-road suspension manufacturers are starting to use it on suspension components.

Lower Control Arm.jpgLower Control Arm.jpg

Here is a product I really like. It is a tough paint with stainless steel in it. Called Steel-It. Available in black or gray. You can weld through it. It is tough as nails - hard to chip or scratch. A lot of the off-road suspension manufacturers are starting to use it on suspension components.

View attachment 2438

can you spray it? i may try it on the front grille I am making

View attachment 2438

can you spray it? i may try it on the front grille I am making

Yes, but it is pretty thick. Goes over bare, sandblasted (or 36-grit sanded) metal - can't go over paint.

Edit: I think it is available in spray cans.

Last edited:
Speaking of paint...I finally got finished with all the glass work in the interior and got it in Epoxy primer. Now I just need to clean up a few rough spots and get it in a durable, final paint. There will be no carpet and the door and kick panels will be exposed carbon fiber.

Interior 8.jpg

Interior 9.jpgInterior 8.jpgInterior 9.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice, what seats are you planning on using?

Thanks guys. No carpet for the weight savings, but I may put a NASCAR-style heat resistant pad/mat in the driver's side floorboard. For seats, I have an OMP WRC and an OMP full-containment HTE-R that I had planned on using. However, I eliminated the passenger side footwell when I move the firewall back for the dry sump tank, so I won't have a passenger seat. It is a track car and the passenger seat was just for grins if someone wanted a "ride". The HTE-R is too wide at the top of the head support, so it forces the seat forward and costs me a couple of inches of leg room - so I'm not going to use it. It will fit my Focus track car to replace the Sparco that has run out of FIA certification. I am talking to TKO Motorsports about a couple of modifications to their Viper full containment seat to make it fit. The head support is narrow enough to slide all the way back.

OMP Seats 1.jpg

tko_viper-seat.jpgOMP Seats 1.jpgtko_viper-seat.jpg

Well, I created myself some extra work. I painted the interior with a PPG single stage black urethane that I "flattened" 50%, which should have been satin black. That didn't work - it came out as a pure gloss, which I don't want. So I'll sand it off, re-prime with DP-90, and topcoat with SEM Hot Rod black, which I have used before. It has a nice satin finish.

Interior Paint 1.jpgInterior Paint 1.jpg

That looks pretty good in the photo, but I understand why you would prefer flat.

That car is really shaping up nice!

Well, I created myself some extra work. I painted the interior with a PPG single stage black urethane that I "flattened" 50%, which should have been satin black. That didn't work - it came out as a pure gloss, which I don't want. So I'll sand it off, re-prime with DP-90, and topcoat with SEM Hot Rod black, which I have used before. It has a nice satin finish.

View attachment 2449

I've used flat clear with success - sand the gloss off, then flat clear it...

Okay, I sanded the shiny paint back to the epoxy base primer coat, re-primed with DP90, and painted with SEM Hot Rod Black, a satin urethane. I am much happier with the result. Two days off my life.

Too shiny
Interior Paint 2.jpg

Sanded
Interior Paint 3.jpg

Refinished in satin black
Interior Paint 4.jpgInterior Paint 3.jpgInterior Paint 4.jpgInterior Paint 2.jpg

Looks good. As they say, you could eat off that floor!

attachment.php