Old Project Revitalized - 56 Track Car

For those interested in converting a throttle body (or carb) to drive-by-wire, here is how the linkage from the BMW drive motor to the Wilson Dominator TB worked out. No slop and the throttle position indicators on the drive motor and TB stay in sync. I had to remove the throttle return spring from the primaries in the TB, but if you lose the linkage the MoTec ECU will shut the motor down if there is a discrepancy between the TPS's.

attachment.php
Throttle linkage 2.jpg

Attachments

• Throttle linkage 2.jpg
    Throttle linkage 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
Pappy -
Me likey! Offers a wider set of mounting options. One more thing I'll have to research (BMW - eh?) Source/PN as time permits. Thanks!

Cheers - Jim

Painting the dash so I can put the windshield back on. It's a GM slate grey that looks more silver in some light, blue-grey in different light.
attachment.php
Dash Paint 1.jpgDash Paint 3.jpg

The forum has been slow lately, so I'll post up a couple of photos.. Time to start adding safety equipment - 10# Safecraft fire suppression system, 2.5# Safecraft fire extinguisher with Joe's Racing Products quick release, and a Safecraft FIA right side window net.

Fire Bottle.jpg]

attachment.php

attachment.php
Fire Bottle.jpgFire Bottle 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow it looks great. how much of a formal blue print or project plans do you have worked out for this project.

Wow it looks great. how much of a formal blue print or project plans do you have worked out for this project.

No blue print or project plans - mostly just evolution. I started with the NASA and SCCA rule books and worked toward compliance. Then the plan was: properly designed suspension, big power, big tires, big brakes, aft CG, and light weight. The "bigs" were in conflict with light weight. Then, aero came around - designed for 2-4 mile road courses with a top speed of 175 mph. Evolutionary improvements included changes to front and rear suspension components, aluminum motor for weight, MOTEC ECU for sequential injection in place of a carburetor, body mods to accommodate even larger tires, sequential transmission, and carbon fiber to reduce weight.

Nice. Your work looks better than a the "pro's" who build cars for a living. Well thought out and well executed.

Nice. Your work looks better than a the "pro's" who build cars for a living. Well thought out and well executed.

Thanks for the compliment. Looking back on it, it has been quite an evolution. I have been fabricating car stuff for over 60 years. At first I was accused of only using a hacksaw, a file, and a buzz box arc welder. Made lots of mistakes, but had time to redo until I got it right - or at least better. Then there were thirty years of flying fighters for "God, Country, and Fun", but very little for profit. Lots of moves, storage units, and hauling cars back and forth across the country in the back of rental vans. Slows your progress! Some of my fabrication skills matured, and during the last two decades I have become more financially secure and can afford good parts and good tools. Good stuff really makes a big difference in the finished product, but it doesn't seem to have made me any faster. LOL I still hand massage every piece (overkill), but I am getting there with this track car. Should be on track late this fall.

Pappy -

Our storied backgrounds are very similar - but you are making much more progress than I. But I'm catching up, well slowly. This week's efforts involve molds for new fenders. Dry sump is nearing completion, etc, etc. I owe some pics and updates too. As I get to it.

Seeing your install of the fuel cell has given me some better ideas for mine, as have many of the other bits you've shared. Thanks for providing some great lessons.

Cheers - Jim

Pappy -

Our storied backgrounds are very similar - but you are making much more progress than I. But I'm catching up, well slowly. This week's efforts involve molds for new fenders. Dry sump is nearing completion, etc, etc. I owe some pics and updates too. As I get to it.

Seeing your install of the fuel cell has given me some better ideas for mine, as have many of the other bits you've shared. Thanks for providing some great lessons.

Cheers - Jim

YES, we need pics! I would like to see your fender molds.

Thought this might interest some of you. I installed DEI's new black floor and tunnel shield as a firewall insulator behind my dry sump tank. It is dimpled aluminum with an adhesive backing and it forms very well. I also got their form-a-shield that is good to 1400 degrees for a couple of areas on the bottom of the floorboard above the exhaust. It is a little heavier aluminum, but the 42X48" inch sheet only weighed 6 lbs boxed for shipping. I will only use a couple of pounds of it.

Pappy

attachment.php
DEI Tunnel Shield.jpg

Nobody seems to be posting, so I'll throw out a couple of new photos. Made some heat shielding to keep header heat away from my throttle foot and the dry sump tank and lines. I also buttoned up the 7.25" Tilton carbon clutch. Stuff that needed to be done before I stick the engine back in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Heat Shield 2.jpgHeat Shield 4.jpgTilton Clutch 1.jpgTilton Clutch 2.jpg