Fusible Links?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I've been looking for info on fusible links and have found for the most part a length of wire sized by AWG. So, below is a picture of a Fusible Link Wire 14 AWG, 3 Ft

So I am assuming the all fusible links are wire gauge specific. If so, what is the length of the link wire or does it matter? Also I can't find a fusible link wire for any wire gauges bigger than 10 awg. So, for a CS130 alternator conversion where the charge wire is bigger than 10 awg, what do you use?

fuse-wire.jpg

Can i add a question to this.... since its relevant.

Where should the fusible links be installed. I have wire going from the alternator to the fuse block in the car. From the fuse block a wire going to the starter solenoid. From starter solenoid to the battery. Im assuming i should have one from alt to fuse panel and possibly one on the wire from fuse panel to starter solenoid? Also 1 for the headlights?

Im thinking of using resetable circuit breakers but trying to figure oit how many i would need and where.

I ended up putting a fusible link on the power wire coming from the starter to the horn relay and another from the horn relay to the interior of the car (through the fusebox). That is the way the car was set up originally. Except the alternator charge wire was had a fusible link. I have a fuse on the charge wire (alternator), headlights get power from the horn relay so they are on a fusible link, and my radiator fans are on circuit breakers.

I ended up putting a fusible link on the power wire coming from the starter to the horn relay and another from the horn relay to the interior of the car (through the fusebox). That is the way the car was set up originally. Except the alternator charge wire was had a fusible link. I have a fuse on the charge wire (alternator), headlights get power from the horn relay so they are on a fusible link, and my radiator fans are on circuit breakers.

Thanks for clarifying. I decided to go with AMG fuses rated for 60 amps for the time being. Believe my alt puts out 60amps but don't have an amp probe yet to verify.

I noticed with the universal "hot rod" style harness I have 10 awg coming from the alt and going into the fuse box then another 10awg going from the fuse box to the starter solenoid.

I'm now wondering if I'm even charging the battery with this setup or if the 10awg wire from the alt is just for the volt meter. Thinking of wiring 6awg from the alternator direct to the starter solenoid. So, 6awg from alternator to AMG fuse block, other side of fuse block install my 10awg wire going into the car, continue 6awg to another AMG fuse block where my rad fans are supplied power then other side of block to the solenoid. This would give me complete protection on all small circuits as they would be sandwiched between protection on the 2 main power supplies (battery and alternator).

Might sound confusing but I think this is the route I'm going. Let me know if anything looks off.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_223806__01.jpg
    IMG_20200816_223806__01.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 16