Fittings for Wilwood Remote Master Cylinder

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I am using a Wiwood master cylinder for my clutch (McCleod hydraulic throwout bearing).

The outlet for the master cylinder is a 3/8 female DIN (ISO/bubble) flare. It requires a special long thread fitting, a normal male fitting is to short and will not seat/seal. I found only one fitting that would work with the 3/8 outlet and it converts the port to a female 3/8 inverted flare. Then, I found a 3/8 inverted flare to a male #4 7/16-20 DIN fitting. So now I have a stack of fittings to make this work!

The braided hose that couples to the Mcleod hose only has female ends. The hose from the hydraulic throwout bearing is a #4 7/16-20 female DIN (ISO/bubble) flare on both ends. So, I found a #4 male to #4 male fitting to make this work. So, there is another fitting.

The inlet is a #4 7/16 SAE female inverted flare that requires a long fitting to seal. That fitting needs a 3/8 barbed fitting for the other end (using a C5 reservoir). That fitting does not exist as far as I can find. And there is no combination of fittings that could be stacked up to work.

Wilwood does not offer anything that will work. All these adapters really bugs me. It looks awful.

Anyone have a really good source for fittings?

https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl95.pdf

Speedway had some extra long threaded brake fittings. I got them in a SS tubing kit. Check there.

I got everything I have so far at Speedway. No luck anywhere finding a #4 male long inverted flare to a 3/8 barb. That makes sense, inverted flares are used for high pressure and the port in this master cylinder is for the reservoir. I don't get it, why make a master cylinder with an inverted flare seat for the reservoir? And the pressure side has a DIN port.

I've been trying build this car so that it looks like a factory build, no butt splices in the wiring, no adapters, etc. I haven't given up yet, I'll call Wilwood tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with Wilwood. In order to connect the inlet to the reservoir, I need to buy another stack of adapters. Just to go from 7/16 IF to 3/8 hose barb. So all in, I spent twice as much on adapters as I did the master cylinder. Thats nuts :bonkers:

So now I have a Bubba master cylinder setup that I have to live with.

I have a Wilwood master mocked up in a car that came in a kit from silversport transmission... I'll have to see what they sent, fitting-wise. All those adapters doesn't seem right

Well, that's when you justify buying a mini lathe and a tig torch. :)

The hose barb is a pretty cool piece, it feels like its some kind of expanding rubber seal... you can clock the 90* in any position and then tighten the nut underneath to lock it in position. I attempted to pull it out but it didnt seem like it wanted to come out too easy.
The other fitting adapts to a 3/16 inverted flare.
Maybe give Silversport transmission a call and see if they will sell the fittings to you.
The kit I have uses a 90* hose barb, the one in the picture shows a strraight
https://shiftsst.com/silver-sport-t...raulics-kit.html?find=chevrolet-210-1955-7831
6155ef20e3a33c3e.jpg
6155ef20e3a08fe5.jpg

The hose barb is a pretty cool piece, it feels like its some kind of expanding rubber seal... you can clock the 90* in any position and then tighten the nut underneath to lock it in position. I attempted to pull it out but it didnt seem like it wanted to come out too easy.
The other fitting adapts to a 3/16 inverted flare.
Maybe give Silversport transmission a call and see if they will sell the fittings to you.
The kit I have uses a 90* hose barb, the one in the picture shows a strraight
https://shiftsst.com/silver-sport-t...raulics-kit.html?find=chevrolet-210-1955-7831
6155ef20e3a33c3e.jpg
6155ef20e3a08fe5.jpg

The adapter for the -3 outlet in the picture looks like the one I found at Speedway. Still waiting for the adapters for the reservoir. I'll post a picture when I get them.

So I finally got all the adapters to make this work. BTW, adapters cost more than 2X the cost of a master cylinder.

To recap:
Outlet: 3AN Male Long Fitting to 3AN Female - to 3AN male to 4AN Male - To 4AN Female Braided hose - to 4AN male to 4AN Male

Inlet: 4AN Male with Improvised O-ring Seal (the master actually has a #4 Inverted flare) to 6AN Male - to 6AM Female to 3/8 barb (actually 7/16 barb)

Not really sure what to do about the 7/16 barb that is sold as a 3/8 barb. It's also sold as a "swivel" but it does not swivel at all.

BTW, did I mention the adapters cost more than 2X the cost of a master cylinder.

Wilwood sucks :surrender:

45efa50e1bcce0.jpg

I was able to replace the barbed fitting and adapters for the reservoir (cost $47) with a single barbed fitting from McMaster Carr (cost $3.40). And it's actually 3/8 barb!

45efe38f7f04b6.jpg