Undercoat removal.

kwplot34

Heart Attack
I worked on removing the undercoat off my spare tire tub tonight,and the results are very good.
First i used a heat gun and a scraper to remove as much of the undercoat as i could.Then i used an aerasol cleaner from Eastwoods called Under Gone,spray it on,let it sit for about 1min and then used a paper towel to wipe off the excess.
The center section in a V shape only took about 20 min's to clean up. It was very easy,no fumes and no mess,thats the best part. once i have it all cleaned up i will post some pics of the final results.

100_0749.jpg
100_0750.jpg

Last edited:
If you drill out the rivets the steel bracket comes off and you can paint the pieces separately

I hate underbody spray too

That's some nasty stuff. It gets brittle after a while and separates from the floorpan or inner fender and then it traps moisture under the coating.

I wonder why somebody used it on a fiberglass spare tire carrier ???

Wanna bet they had it "professionally" undercoated, in other words a guy puts the car over a pit, puts on his oil suit and starts spraying the entire underside of the car with that crap, literally everything will be covered with that thick sticky substance.

LOL

the sad part is that is does not remain sticky for long. I removed this nasty crap from the Karman Ghia and in many areas it was flaking off, in a few spots it even bubbled and cracked.... of course there was rust under almost every "bubble"

Yeah i drilled the rivets and took the strap off. This car was deffinately done by a shop of some sorts,that crap is everywhere and if you want to take a part off the car you have to scrape to find the bolts and then scrape some more to get get a socket on it :suicide: i figure taking all this undercoat off that my my car will probably loose a 100lbs or more,in some places that stuff is 1/4" thick.

Yeah i drilled the rivets and took the strap off. This car was deffinately done by a shop of some sorts,that crap is everywhere and if you want to take a part off the car you have to scrape to find the bolts and then scrape some more to get get a socket on it :suicide: i figure taking all this undercoat off that my my car will probably loose a 100lbs or more,in some places that stuff is 1/4" thick.

My car was originally a NY car.....they sprayed that stuff all over it like it was free....

My tire tub looks the same as yours.

Lookin good!

Would it have come off with just using the spray?

No.I tried on a small spot and did not make any progress what so ever,but when i went back and used the heat gun on it and scraped it off,then used the spray on the remaining tar it would come off very easily, the can even says to scrape off as much as possible first.
I need to find a small scraper to get in that lip around the upper edge,what you see in the pic left in that lip is from using the spray only,the thick stuff it will not touch, but if it's thin enough it will wipe right off.

If you have undercoat to remove,i would suggest this process,it made quick work of it,compared to what i did over the winter,that was a messy smelly nightmare :cussing:

Mine is a mess...plus the fiberglass is worn through in a spot where it looks like it was riding the pavement.

I'll be doing it your way...or maybe I can get my son to do it.

Mine is a mess...plus the fiberglass is worn through in a spot where it looks like it was riding the pavement.

I'll be doing it your way...or maybe I can get my son to do it.

Hey when your son gets done with cleaning up your stuff,send him over here,the rest of my frame needs scraped down :waxer: