Finally got another Corvette....

I will probably freshen up the motor eventually, probably a 327 crank for the 283. I also plan to put a 4 speed in it from a later c1, as it currently has a 3 speed. A new soft top, wire harnesses and fix some of the trim around the coves. He redid the suspension 10 years ago and he had the brakes and exhaust done last year. It drives really nice.

The tires are from the mid 90's and should be replaced. I want some cool early 60's style bias ply's.

The paint is from the mid 70's. It is a C3 color. It is a little worn and has some scratches, several by me when I was a kid. It sill looks nice. I like the blue it was before. When I paint it, I will consider that color with white coves.

I usually modify anything I can get my hands on. Lower, wider, faster :lol:

that said..... this car is worth keeping original... keep all original parts in boxes :D

If it was me, I'd remove the original engine and tranny and go with a 350/TKO combo. I would want this to look original but drive and handle better - I would definitely want to be able to return it to stock (which is easy, just keep the stock parts).

Unlike any other car I've owned this would be one car I would keep looking stock, and all modifications reversible...

Josh,
You have a numbers matching, never wrecked C-1.
Out here, painted stock, in that kind of shape, we are talking 6 figures.
With drum brakes, and 50 year old suspension, just keep it stock. You WILL want it stock when you are older, I guarantee it.:amused:
If you want to customize a car, get a later Vette, and knock your socks off. Beat up cars, that would otherwise see the crusher, make the best customs.

Josh,
You have a numbers matching, never wrecked C-1.
Out here, painted stock, in that kind of shape, we are talking 6 figures.
With drum brakes, and 50 year old suspension, just keep it stock. You WILL want it stock when you are older, I guarantee it.:amused:
If you want to customize a car, get a later Vette, and knock your socks off. Beat up cars, that would otherwise see the crusher, make the best customs.

agree, that's why I'm saying put the stock stuff in boxes .... a 3sp simply sux.... but if you keep it in a box for another 20 years it'll be worth some money and it'll be in good shape :D

just don't make the mistake and make any unreversible change like cutting the fenders and flare it (like I did with my 79)

this car is going to be worth some big bux ...... it actually is already ....

Guys maybe I wasn't very clear. I am not going to change anything away from period correct 1960. I will not paint the car for years, ten at least. It is currently 70's corvette yellow, panama yellow is much lighter and the coves were originally white.

The car has a replacement engine, already in place when my father bought it ($1050 btw). The numbers are for a late 58-?? corvette. The car is an early production 58 corvette. The car was originally an auto, now a three speed, also converted before he got it. So a 4 speed from a 1959-62 corvette would only increase the value over the three speed. I won't go back to a power glide. I do not plan to change the suspension brakes, etc. I hate all those street rod bolt on things. When I jump in this car I want it to be 1960 again. The rag top is a JC whitney piece and is really worn. When I replace it, it will be original style.

Goodyear Radial tires from the mid 90's should be changed no? They look good but everything I have read about tires tells me I should get new ones. I would like to run bias ply, so what tires would you choose?

Any idea who makes the best wire harnesses for these years, LL?

Last edited:
The car was originally an auto, now a three speed, also converted before he got it. So a 4 speed from a 1959-62 corvette would only increase the value over the three speed. I won't go back to a power glide. I do not plan to change the suspension brakes, etc. I hate all those street rod bolt on things. When I jump in this car I want it to be 1960 again. The rag top is a JC whitney piece and is really worn. When I replace it, it will be original style.

Goodyear Radial tires from the mid 90's should be changed no? They look good but everything I have read about tires tells me I should get new ones. I would like to run bias ply, so what tires would you choose?

Any idea who makes the best wire harnesses for these years, LL?

tranny: it's not original anyways, go with a TKO. while it is a lot of money it is wll worth it. I feel a 4spd is wsted money. when I converted to overdrive I realized I could have left the engine alone, the trans is by far the best mod I've ever done to a car....

tires: if you don't mind the price, they offer "modern" whitewall tires that would look aweome on this car. I looked into this for my VW.... $190 a piece :shocking:

I'm too young to really appreciate C1s

damn, I wish I could agree with you :smash::smash::footmouth:

It's often a question of what was hot when you started to appreciate car, in OP's case he grew with it.

When I was young I knew the C1 because it was an icon of the Chesterfield cigarette brand, in its classic red and white combo.
In a time when tobacco company was shamelessly putting ads in teen publications.
At that time I was thinking it was a Cadillac of something like that.
Spare me, I was young, but all this chrome was not matching with my idea of a sport car.
Still a beautiful car.

2404fcd67c5955b9.jpg

I took it out tonight and I can't believe how much I love this car. The car has been this color yellow for as long as I've been alive and I am not sure I will ever want to change it. I think it looks even better in this light than the brighter sunlight.

I pulled the non original 1959 corvette 283 and had some heads done up for it, but in the end it needed a full rebuild. I was going to go that route when the engine shop had a freshly rebuilt 1967 corvette L79 327 350hp long block. I bought it on a whim. I will rebuild the 283 eventually and put it in my 32 roadster. I have the 327 ready to go in, along with a rebuilt T10 4 sped. As previously mentioned the car was originally an auto and was converted some time before 1968. When they did that they made the clutch pivot on the block rather than on the tab bolted to the bell housing. As a result the z bar pivot tower was welded to the frame too far forward. I cut that off and re welded it in the correct spot along with the clutch spring retainer bracket. It is supposed to warm up from the -10* F that it has been so I hope to put it together this weekend.

IMG_2744_zpsec14f336.jpg

A jewel to keep. One day I will pass my vette to my son. Hope he appreciates it as much as you do now.

I always liked 58'ths. Unfortunatly they are way out of my wallet. Consider yourself very lucky with it, whatever you decide to do with it.

th_IMG_2964_zps08db9593.jpg

th_IMG_2965_zps91825cb8.jpg

Here is the exhaust note at idle and about 1200 rpm. I drove it briefly for the first time today with the L79 and it is awesome.